Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Accident In Saskatchewan?

I hear ya .... but we weren't there and what gets reported isn't always the reality.

From what I've heard there was a lot of activity around the machine so the driver may not have been looking directly at the pax who walked into the rotor.

As Jim said, we weren't there. Kinda pointless to second guess the pilot or the passenger's actions. Hindsight is 20-20...:-(

• Like 5

I can't say how frustrating it is to hear criticism regarding the operation of the aircraft and the behaviour of the crew member that could have potentially lost his/her life. I have a great deal of time doing muskeg landings and I have just as much time with miscommunication under the rotor and I know for a fact that I'm on the low end compared to people like heliopterjim. Interestingly enough I don't see him being critical, some of us could learn from this example. This is a terrible occurrence that I'm sure both individuals regret and I speak from experience when I say that the blow by blow analysis by people with unknown experience is hurtful and damaging to the healing process.

I wish the injured party a speedy recovery and I hope the pilot will find some solace in the fact that it could have happened to any of us.

Safe flight to all,

R

• Like 10

Off topic, but I'm confused as to why Global thought it was important to point out that their file photo of an AS350-B3 is "called 'L'Esprit d'Intertechnique 1997" ?

More on topic, I had a boss a few years back that told me about one of his seasoned passengers who walked around the back of a 206, LOOKED at the spinning tail rotor, SQUATTED and proceeded to walk under (and INTO) it. Luckily, he survived.

I guess all we can take from these incidents is that even people who are comfortable around our machines can do strange things. All we can do is brief them as best as possible and as often as possible, and try to keep an eye on them as best we can. Beyond that, what can we do? Besides mandating that no persons are to moving underneath the rotor disk while the helicopter is running, and that's basically impossible.

Hopefully those involved in this incident will be alright.

It seems a little strange that the disk was so low....It said they were in 'skeg, power on...fly the machine and keep disk out of the way,no?

I find it Bizzar how you think you can jump to conclusion with this, no?

There are probally as many different factors as you have fingers and toes. Soft ground....un-eaven ground....rotor RPM just to name a few. Maybe the pilot had to sit there and watch it happen right in front of his eyes becasue there was nothing he could do, and then has to be questioned on vertical after why he didn't have the disk up?

Hope the pilot is ok aswell. I would feel horrible watching that happen.

Any one of us who has flown for any amount of time has had their close calls and near misses. I know I have and I know so many others that have too. We've just been LUCKY that it remained a close call and didn't turn into this situation. Something similar could happen to anyone of us, we've all been there or could be there tomorrow. I've seen my most trusted customers/passengers do stupid moves once in a while. Ease up cause the next thread may be a bunch of internet losers picking apart your bad day at the office.

• Like 8

I find it Bizzar how you think you can jump to conclusion with this, no?

There are probally as many different factors as you have fingers and toes. Soft ground....un-eaven ground....rotor RPM just to name a few. Maybe the pilot had to sit there and watch it happen right in front of his eyes becasue there was nothing he could do, and then has to be questioned on vertical after why he didn't have the disk up?

Hope the pilot is ok aswell. I would feel horrible watching that happen.

I find it "Bizarr" how you can think I jumped to ANY conclusion....I read the cadors and was simply trying to understand how it happened. A previous poster apparently knew about the extensiveness of the helicopter safety briefing given, another claimed he saw the blades... surely they must know what really happened?The cadors doesn't tell the whole story and I want to know what happened so it doesn't happen to me or anybody else for that matter....simple.

I don't mean or want this to come out wrong but have seen the safety briefing cards of some companies and also the decals all describing the front as a green exit area. This is not the last(nor the only) blade strike when a person was hit in the head by an astar blade(and lived as well). This machine has a safe exit area and it is to the side first then and when only safe the front. But accidents happen. I had a young man stroll up a rock infront of me while the rest of crew was unloading baggage compartments. Instant vertical prevented a bad incident and also caused a few young men to learn a valuable lesson. Well wishes to those involved and their families especially.

• Like 2