Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Carry-On Baggage Requirements

Since I don't fly one and fly and older B2 where the fm is in the seat it is simply a question,,,,that is why I asked it, as from what I can tell there is no place for it unless you purchase the option pocket on back of seat on new EC30's and thus if on back of seat how does one reach it while flying. Thus the fm is a "loose" article. Hmm, how does tc view this? Not against you on this.

Same here, all of our A-Star' s (except the B3's) have a the compartment under the seats. Our B3's have the pocket on the Back of the seat. That is where we keep the FM's.

How about the shelf in the front window (Co-pilot Side)?

Is it "a bin, compartment, rack or other location that is certified in accordance with the aircraft type certificate in respect of the stowage of carry-on baggage, equipment or cargo"?

although it may not be restrained 602.86 (1) says: or (not and)
(B) restrained so as to prevent them from shifting during movement of the aircraft on the surface and during take-off, landing and in-flight turbulence.

I guess, there may be issue with 602.86 (2) which says:

(2) No person shall operate an aircraft with carry-on baggage, equipment or cargo on board unless

(B) all of the equipment and cargo that are stowed in a passenger compartment are packaged or covered to avoid possible injury to persons on board;

If a flight manual can't be carried there...how about maps, a sandwich, a small camera in a soft case...etc?

I doin't suspect you were against me on this. Thanks for discussing.

I think are missing my point, if the manufacturer builds an aircraft that type certificated and the flight manual is loose(such as new B2,B3e,ec130) how then can tc fault you for having said fm loose? The fm is supposed to be within reach of the pilot, not on back of seat or in the candy dish. So, if the manufacturer and tc are ok with a loose fm how then does any other item of similar size or weight become an issue. If in an airliner one can put his/her feet on a 22 lb carryon under the seat whilst holding onto a 2 year old infant going down a runway at a gazillion miles per hour how then does your sammiches become so dangerous? fml

• Like 1

I think are missing my point, if the manufacturer builds an aircraft that type certificated and the flight manual is loose(such as new B2,B3e,ec130) how then can tc fault you for having said fm loose? The fm is supposed to be within reach of the pilot, not on back of seat or in the candy dish. So, if the manufacturer and tc are ok with a loose fm how then does any other item of similar size or weight become an issue. If in an airliner one can put his/her feet on a 22 lb carryon under the seat whilst holding onto a 2 year old infant going down a runway at a gazillion miles per hour how then does your sammiches become so dangerous? fml

I don't think I am missing your point. Of note I can reach the candy dish and the pocket on the back of the copilot seat so the aircraft manufacture might feel they have provided you with several options for stowage of your flight manual which are compliant. How about a 206 B or Longranger, where are you supposed to carry the FM? Another sizeable book that we carry is the CFS, we also need to find somewhere to put that also...

But wait, these aircraft were certified decades ago under entirely different airworthiness regulations and standards. How does that fact play into all of this? I believe the 407 is also on the same type certificates isn't it?

You can buy an Optional aftermarket shelf much like the candy dish. Is storing your flight manual and CFS in the shelf compliant?

Also you can only stow carry-on baggage below the seat of an airline it is approved on that aircraft type under the standards of airworthiness specified in the basis of certification for the aircraft.” Not all aircraft approved for carryon under the seat.

Calaiezzi admits he has operated contrary to regulations for quite some time. He also declares that he will continue to do so in the future.

He identifies several of his fellow operators who operate illegally in the same manner that he does.

He defends his actions as being standard operating procedure in the industry. This is laughable.

His threats of calling his lawyers do not frighten TC in the least.

If he does call his lawyers, if they are any good at all, they will advise him to immediately commence complying with the regulations or face the consequences.

Fred, every single helicopter operator in Canada operates as does "Calaiezzi"... Every single VFR one anyway... It is laughable to read TC's correspondence as they show their complete and utter ignorance of what helicopters do. Just like the ridiculous TDG regulations, this one will be ignored until it's changed...

HV

• Like 1

Don't worry about me HV, I kind of find Mr. Lewis to be quite amusing don't you? Kind of like a clown. Seems like strange comments from a guy who figures he'll be the leader of the next pilot association (or something like that cause I really haven't paid attention).

He doesn't understand we take compliance seriously and all we have asked for is clear discussions on what this means. We will also do everything we can to be held to the same standard as our competitors ( as is our right). This is the much larger issue here. He may not like my tactics, but I seem to be the only one who is getting responses. He likely thinks his association could get faster results.

I shouldn't need an attorney or an association to have these conversations with TC. Nor should any of us. We have responsibilities to maintain compliance and TC has responsibilities of monitoring compliance and providing clear means of doing so. That doesn't seem to be going to well...

It's also true that many at TC have interpreted the reg as I do. I have discussed these compliance requirements with several inspectors over the years (many who monitored our operations with baggage on board); they had no issue with our operations. So despite what Mr. Lemieux states what is required to be compliant is not that simple.

• Like 3

You can buy an Optional aftermarket shelf much like the candy dish. Is storing your flight manual and CFS in the shelf compliant?

That is my point, if that is the place the fm is located when the aircraft leaves the factory then it has to be compliant or else it would not be able to be type certificated in Canada for commercial applications. No optional pockets are required, or they would not be options.