Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

College Of Professional Pilots Of Canada

From their website ...

The College of Professional Pilots of Canada aims to create an environment of empowerment where professionalism and doing one's best are the norm. We believe the next logical step in the evolution of piloting is to move to a self-governing model.[/size]

Create? If professionalism and doing your best isn't already the norm .... then DON'T FLY ....!!!!!!

What the heck is a self-governing model? The only person who truly governs you is yourself. If you can't do that ..... then DON'T FLY ......!!!!

Wankers .....!!

• Like 1

People might want to wait for a better flying year before any of this is brought up, or there may be allot of unemployed pilots. Maybe the overseas pilots were busy, but I don't hear of any overworked pilots in Canada this summer. Lots of pilot applications for work though!

You going to HAC this nov. Jim?

B.M.

Yet there are still a pile of pilots on foreign permits! I don't get why more pilots are not writing the labour minister. Oh well you reap what you sow.

I might join if there was any relevance to rotary wing. They mention it but then you go through licence types and everywhere else and find nothing at all. I started my career working in fixed wing and there are so few similarities I really think we should have our own section of CARs that would start at the beginning and regulate us properly. The current "helicopters have doors and so do planes therefore they're the same" bullshit that TC foists upon us is the root of the problem.

All that being said I think some real positives could come from pilots working together in the way this College states they want to... And it reminds me of the Grandma from the Nutty Professor (also played by Eddie Murphy) when she said, at the kitchen table, "I remember when I was college age... I'd meet a nice boy and bring him home and have relations"... Here's to those relations!

HV

The Helicopter Engineers and Pilots Association of Canada was formed some years ago, and disbanded after being flamed rotten. My point is that it has all been tried before and rejected with extreme prejudice, so why bother?

And as someone rightly points out, it's fixed wing anyway. :)

Phil

What the heck is a self-governing model? The only person who truly governs you is yourself. If you can't do that ..... then DON'T FLY ......!!!!

Physicians, lawyers, accountants, engineers, pharmacists, physiotherapists, message therapists, financial advisers, real estate agents and so on. They all work in self governing and self regulating professions although I think calling real estate a true profession is a stretch. Seeing as how most of the people here consider union to be a dirty word and masturbate to pictures of Milton Friedman, I'm surprised you're not all jumping on this paradigm. A lifetime of being told what to do and how to do it by the government has taken it's toll I suppose. That and people are skeptical of change.

• Like 1

The fact that this is endorsed by Fred Lewis makes it a bit suspect to me. The expressed intent sounds sort of good, but as stated, it is primarily fixed wing pilots working in situations vastly different from ours. On the other hand, promoting professionalism within the industry should be encouraged. Tough to get any group of helicopter types to agree on anything long enough to keep an association in place though, so we're back to Helicopter Jim's solution of regulate yourself.

• 4 months later...