Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Pilot Survives Png Crash

N1

Pilot survives chopper crash

A PILOT escaped death when his helicopter crash-landed near the Lake Kutubu Oil project site in Southern Highlands.

The incident happened on Saturday at around 4pm when the chopper belonging to Mendi-based Carson Pratt Services was returning from a charter operation.

Canadian pilot Capt David Chinn was unhurt but the aircraft suffered damages during the forced landing.

Carson Pratt general manger Greg Bill said the aircraft developed mechanical problems forcing the pilot to make the emergency landing. There were no passengers on board at the time. Police are guarding the aircraft as a Civil Aviation Authority team probe the incident.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon gentlemen,

got an e-mail from Captain Dave Chinn and I quote:

"My Longranger lost a blade at the root right where the AD was out on it.

I ran it on in the mud on the shore of the lake, it spun and rolled over to the left despite my attempts to ditch to the right. I figured the last thing I would see was the blades coming through the cockpit! Lucky to be alive without any injuries! The other blade was completely undamaged and they found the departed blade at the bottom of the lake." and close quote.

I guess Dave still has a bit of luck left in the bag!

Any insights on the blade AD?

Thank you all

cobi

Many of you would have met Dave in the northern Alberta fire flap last summer.

He was flying a 350B3 (HKM) for Airborne Energy.

He's very experienced and quite a story teller.

It sounds like all his experience saved his butt and gave him another story to tell.

Well done Captain.

So............... Anybody seen this AD? Sounds semi serious to me............

R...