Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Inrat -H Differences?

rotorbrake

One more tidbit of information that may be useful to some. If you already hold a PPL or CPL on the fixed wing side, and decide to add group 1, 2, or 3 IFR to that, you'll automatically write the fixed wing version of the INRAT. However, when you carry on for your group 4, you'll be interrogated under a bright light as to why you think you don't have to write another INRAT, this one being heli specific. My training went well. Then came test day.

The ace in the hole is a very helpful and knowledgeable lady in the TC Winnipeg office whom had already informed me that there was NO necessity to write another INRAT. Considerable time was spent on test day (no added stress at all) for the group 4 to satisfy my flight test examiner that we could proceed with the flight test.

For the dual rated folks out there contemplating this route, and assuming you flew 10 hours instrument during your initial CPL-H and have the required instrument time to hold your fixed wing IFR, you really only need to be recommended for the group 4 flight test (your instructor will determine how many hours of sim and flight) and then fly the test. It's fun.

Honestly, I don't. I searched high and low for some standard or anything else that would give me that info. It was (I hope I remember her name correctly here) Darlene in the Winnipeg TC office, pilot licensing and training. Very very knowledgeable. Now where she found the reference, I'm not sure. But as soon as I mentioned her name and opinion on the matter, my flight test examiner, from TC, was satisfied and we flew the group 4 flight test. Sorry I can't help more than that.