Eyeglass Question For The Old Timers...

Well, looks like I'm officially an ol' fart now... :rolleyes:

Optometrist sez I need reading glasses. Have to order new specs this week and here's my dilemma: Should I get bifocals or carry separate reading glasses ?

Something tells me that vertical reference might be (even more) challenging with bifocals rather than with regular glasses.

How do you "other" old farts out there deal with this ?

• Like 7

Google "stick on lenses." Flexible vinyl lenses that stick on to any glasses or helmet visor with water. Can get them in any diopter for reading. Approx $14.00 and are sent by mail to you. I have them at the bottom, inside of my visor and can also look over them when long lining. Can also cut them to fit. Awesome. When Transport wants to see your "available glasses" you can dazzle them when you drop the visor.

• Like 3

Google "stick on lenses." Flexible vinyl lenses that stick on to any glasses or helmet visor with water. Can get them in any diopter for reading. Approx $14.00 and are sent by mail to you. I have them at the bottom, inside of my visor and can also look over them when long lining. Can also cut them to fit. Awesome. When Transport wants to see your "available glasses" you can dazzle them when you drop the visor.

Impressive. What'll they think of next ?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous posts. I already wear glasses (very light myopia -1.25). So I've already got glasses on. The new thing is the addition of presbyopia.

The more research I do tells me I should get separate reading glasses for now, but I just might order a set of those stick-on lenses to try 'em out. Thanks TS !

I only need reading glasses so I bought a pair of progressives...I hate them, still sitting in the box. I can still see like a hawk outside the cockpit, but do need the reading glasses inside at times. A while back, a buddy of mine sent me a few sets of "Brimz" sun glasses. They clip on to a ball cap (I don't wear a helmet). Anyhow, the sunglasses are real cheap quality, but I loved the idea of being able to fold down the glasses when needed. I took a pair of the Brimz, tossed the crappy sun glass lens and 'prosealed' a cheap pair of reading glasses in it's place. Now I can wear my good aviation sunglasses and flip down the readers when I need it. Works like a charm!

http://www.clip-n-flip.com/post-6378-0-88206200-1381246291_thumb.jpgpost-6378-0-99726300-1381246313_thumb.jpg

Progressives are not great for vertical reference, or work that requires a lot of peripheral vision i.e. heli-skiing.

How bad is your reading vision? Can you still read the instruments, but have a little trouble with a VNC chart ?

Maybe you could try contact lenses. Yes, they are difficult at first....but so were glasses when I first tried them......welcome to the golden years. (Remember some guys have had poor vision since they were little kids. You are lucky).

I use contacts (without any reading correction) and still pass the MOT and FAA medicals. Just don't hold the fine-print test too close to your face.

Optometrists usually give you a trial pair and introduction lesson for free. It's worth a try.

I only fly without contacts now. Cost works out to about $1 per day.

(and I carry a spare pair of old glasses in my helmet bag in case I lose a lens or something...though it hasn't happened yet).

Note, some of the ideas above sound good (and very effective) but remember that your Medical Validation will clearly state "Corrective Lenses Required". Do the remedies mentioned above meet that definition?

Those wide FOV progressives mentioned above sound like they would be worth trying.

Good luck.

Progressives are not great for vertical reference, or work that requires a lot of peripheral vision i.e. heli-skiing.

How bad is your reading vision? Can you still read the instruments, but have a little trouble with a VNC chart ?

Maybe you could try contact lenses. Yes, they are difficult at first....but so were glasses when I first tried them......welcome to the golden years. (Remember some guys have had poor vision since they were little kids. You are lucky).

I use contacts (without any reading correction) and still pass the MOT and FAA medicals. Just don't hold the fine-print test too close to your face.

Optometrists usually give you a trial pair and introduction lesson for free. It's worth a try.

I only fly without contacts now. Cost works out to about $1 per day.

(and I carry a spare pair of old glasses in my helmet bag in case I lose a lens or something...though it hasn't happened yet).

Note, some of the ideas above sound good (and very effective) but remember that your Medical Validation will clearly state "Corrective Lenses Required". Do the remedies mentioned above meet that definition?

Those wide FOV progressives mentioned above sound like they would be worth trying.

Good luck.

I know all about contacts. I started wearing glasses when I was 9. I had laser surgery in my late twenties and was liberated from glasses for about fifteen years. Unfortunately, my myopia came back, albeit much less severe, a couple years ago, with a little presbyopia to boot. So I'm back to wearing corrective lenses. Just picked up my new specs this evening, along with a cheapo pair of reading glasses from the drugstore for reading in poor light...

Thanks for the help, fellow geezers... :P