Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Atpl Study Material

Hazy

Any great experiences with ATPL written prep material? Recommendations? Current material, that you may be looking to move?

Also for those doing an instrument rating in the Van area, Coastal Pacific was very easy to deal with when it comes to the 15 hours on the fixed wing.

Cheers

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

For the ATPL-H in Canada I am using Phil's "Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies" and "Canadian Helicopter Pilot Practice Exams" and both are quite good. My major beef with the practice exam book is that it contains some errors, and no revisions have been made to the content since it was published in 2008. Are you reading this Phil???

Culhane also has a Canadian ATPL-H study book/sample exam guide, which IS updated (2014), however I don't like the way he conducts business and I refuse to buy his materials.

NOBODY has an app or updated online sample exams for Canada. Really, the sample exams are the most important tool and this is seriously lacking.

For the ATPL-H (license or add-on rating) in the US, both Gleim and ASA have good materials. When I did my fixed-wing ATP 10 or so years ago I used both, and neither company had apps or online exams. I am presently working on my US ATPL-H exam at the moment, and due to financial restraint and past experience chose only ASA this time. I am very happy with my choice - they have great materials and fantastic customer service. In addition to the book I bought the apps for both Android and iPad mini (the ipad was a forced purchase - another discussion), as well as you get online access to the test bank from your PC included with the book purchase. I've emailed back and forth with their tech support over a few comments and feedback and they respond right away, with interest.

As a tool for Canada prep, I might recommend purchasing one or other of the US apps. While the air regs are different in many places, you can beef up your technical knowledge using the US questions. You can pick and choose your study areas and whether you want to study or test. The difference for study is you get instant feedback for each question (wrong or right) and you can click on the reference for more information. It has a pause/resume feature that is not that obvious, but covered in the FAQ. I was using this app a lot when flying and waiting for customers. Great for passing the time and tackling the study ogre.

As for IFR in Canada, I was very happy with Lyle Watts at Heli-College in Langley. Much as I was initially leery of the R-22 I contacted Lyle on the recommendation of a Canadian Helicopters instructor (!) and followed his very good advice.

If anyone can recommend a good IFR flight school in the US, prefer cheapest aircraft option (ie R-22) I would be most grateful for the information, particularly if you have first-hand feedback. in the NW of the US would be best, but would consider all options. I've heard that finding an R-22 with stock IFR package is not that easy as not very many were made. I would be most comfortable in any of the 206 models but at the moment can't afford it... :(

Cheers,

tin lizzie

Glacier Aviation in Olympia WA.

http://www.helicopterflightschool.com/helicopter-training.htm

Tristan, is very helpful.

Also, passed the ATPL exams.

For the ATPL-H in Canada I am using Phil's "Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies" and "Canadian Helicopter Pilot Practice Exams" and both are quite good. My major beef with the practice exam book is that it contains some errors, and no revisions have been made to the content since it was published in 2008. Are you reading this Phil???

Culhane also has a Canadian ATPL-H study book/sample exam guide, which IS updated (2014), however I don't like the way he conducts business and I refuse to buy his materials.

NOBODY has an app or updated online sample exams for Canada. Really, the sample exams are the most important tool and this is seriously lacking.

For the ATPL-H (license or add-on rating) in the US, both Gleim and ASA have good materials. When I did my fixed-wing ATP 10 or so years ago I used both, and neither company had apps or online exams. I am presently working on my US ATPL-H exam at the moment, and due to financial restraint and past experience chose only ASA this time. I am very happy with my choice - they have great materials and fantastic customer service. In addition to the book I bought the apps for both Android and iPad mini (the ipad was a forced purchase - another discussion), as well as you get online access to the test bank from your PC included with the book purchase. I've emailed back and forth with their tech support over a few comments and feedback and they respond right away, with interest.

As a tool for Canada prep, I might recommend purchasing one or other of the US apps. While the air regs are different in many places, you can beef up your technical knowledge using the US questions. You can pick and choose your study areas and whether you want to study or test. The difference for study is you get instant feedback for each question (wrong or right) and you can click on the reference for more information. It has a pause/resume feature that is not that obvious, but covered in the FAQ. I was using this app a lot when flying and waiting for customers. Great for passing the time and tackling the study ogre.

As for IFR in Canada, I was very happy with Lyle Watts at Heli-College in Langley. Much as I was initially leery of the R-22 I contacted Lyle on the recommendation of a Canadian Helicopters instructor (!) and followed his very good advice.

If anyone can recommend a good IFR flight school in the US, prefer cheapest aircraft option (ie R-22) I would be most grateful for the information, particularly if you have first-hand feedback. in the NW of the US would be best, but would consider all options. I've heard that finding an R-22 with stock IFR package is not that easy as not very many were made. I would be most comfortable in any of the 206 models but at the moment can't afford it... :(

Cheers,

tin lizzie

tin lizzie - I am indeed reading this, and can only mention that I seem to have lost touch with Ryan to check with any corrections, although this was done some time ago, much later than 2008 - are you by any chance reading a copy of the Q & A book that was lying around a crewroom - early copies did indeed have a few whoopsies in.

Meanwhile, I am working on an online database of my own here: rtfg.azurewebsites.net

It is meant for revision purposes, gives you 20 questions at a time and there is a 50/50 button to eliminate 2 wrong answers. It is very much under construction but is not far off being finished. The questions are meant to be valid for any exam, but I have yet to split up the Canada-specific ones, such as for air law, etc.

It is free (at the moment) - in return for its use I would only ask that you report any typos, etc.

cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

LOL... No, this is not a crew room copy - I paid full price for both of your books - 2009 if memory serves. The exam book was pretty useful several years ago when I initially studied for the HATRA, but it is disappointing that it seems to be a "one of", not a recurring (and refreshed) edition each year - or at least every two years. We're talking 7 years here!

Anyway, I'll gladly take you up on your review offer - however I just can't seem to get on to that site - is there something missing in the address?

Cheers,

tin lizzie

PLMK your address and I will send you the latest copy - I have certainly changed a few things - but to keep it updated Ryan will have to do the work as he gets the royalties! :)

Meanwhile I think you will find the online database more useful, and some of the questions in the book will be there

try rtfq.azurewebsites.net

rtfq of course stands for read the question! :)

Phil