Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Go Pro Camera

Ha ha try CAR 702.03 "Getting epic shots with Go Pros on helicopters" A pilots guide.

Seriously though, it would be considered an external load. Hard mounting it to any part of your aircraft without a proper STC for the mounting fixture i.e. camera boom would make it illegal. Suction cup mounts and excessive use of tape doesn't "modify the structure" of the aircraft but consider the consequence... Camera doesn't fall off = no violation, camera falls off with no injury or property damage = no violation Camera falls off with injury or property damage = violation.

While we're on the subject (I was thinking of purchasing one), does anyone know if the Go Pro has sufficient speed/capability to capture a rotor system in motion as a proper blur, instead of a jerky bunch of individual blades? What parameter(s) am I shopping for to ensure a video camera has this capability?

My Samsung Note II takes fantastic HD video, and has a setting to increase film speed, but any video I take of airplanes or helicopters in flight look stupid because of the way it records blade movement. A colleague was commenting that the phone didn't have sufficient frame rate per second capability, and people were finding this with the Go Pro too. For me this would be a deal breaker with respect to purchasing a Go Pro.

A brief Google search uncovered something about wagon wheel effect on Wikipedia, but that article discussed other contributing factors (aside from FPS) and wasn't entirely helpful in answering my questions.

I'd like to get a Go Pro myself (not necessarily for external mounting!) but not if it doesn't take good visuals of aircraft in motion.

Any comments, advice or insight appreciated!

Thanks!

Go Pro 2 and adhesive mounts for me. I've placed a few mounts around the machine (inside and out) for different angles and re-usage. On my current settings (not sure what they are :huh: ) the rotors are not blurred. Garmin has a HD video cam out now too.

Hi Hazy,

The point IS to have blurred rotors (ie rotor disc) - the same as you see in real life - NOT individual blades, like you see on many recordings. You shouldn't be able to count the blades in a good video recording or see them moving backwards to the normal rotation! Can anyone confirm if the Go Pro is capable of sufficient speed/quality to achieve what I'm after?

Thanks!

Hi Hazy,

The point IS to have blurred rotors (ie rotor disc) - the same as you see in real life - NOT individual blades, like you see on many recordings. You shouldn't be able to count the blades in a good video recording or see them moving backwards to the normal rotation! Can anyone confirm if the Go Pro is capable of sufficient speed/quality to achieve what I'm after?

Thanks!

Ya I got that from your first post. What I can say is on the front of my camera, on the video setting, it is set to 960-30 and the rotors are visible. Not the effect you are trying to achieve, but the video is still decent quality. Good luck

tin lizzie - you may have things backwards.

The better the camera, (ie. the faster the effective shutter speed and greater light sensitivity) the better it stops the action = stopped rotor blades. If you want blurred rotor blades get a cheap low quality camera or set your camera to a very slow shutter speed or low light sensitivity. But be prepared for blurry motion of anything that is moving fast.