Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Advice On Beating "training Bond" Bs.

Roscoe 12

As proven by a couple of court cases in addition to the ones mentioned in the article above, the ONLY other way out of the "promissory note" would be if they breached the contract.

You could look up "Anticipatory breach of contract".

If not, and they take you to court, you are pretty much SOL.

Cheers

H.

• Like 2

Rosco12,

It seems to me that training bonds are quite common in the fixed wing world. You may find some more insight asking the same question on a forum frequented by our white shirt, roller suit case toting, goofy hat wearing brothers.

I've only talked to one employer in our industry that wanted me to sign a bond, even though I had the endorsement and most of the qualifications they were looking for. It was only one short conversation.

Rosco12,

It seems to me that training bonds are quite common in the fixed wing world. You may find some more insight asking the same question on a forum frequented by our white shirt, roller suit case toting, goofy hat wearing brothers.

I've only talked to one employer in our industry that wanted me to sign a bond, even though I had the endorsement and most of the qualifications they were looking for. It was only one short conversation.

Seems common enough, Read the employment adds on this forum lately.. Start at the top

I think it's important to differentiate between training bonds pertaining to the type of training that incurs a future benefit to a pilot (like a type rating) and those pertaining to training required by regulations (like a PPC) or by customers (like H2S).

I think it reasonable that an operator who invests in endorsing a pilot on a new type should expect a return on investment and seeing as it is of potential future value for the pilot, the pilot should expect to fulfill his end of the bargain in return. I think a contract pro-rated over a reasonable period is a good idea. It protects the operator's investment while giving the pilot an out at a reasonable cost.

However, requiring a pilot to sign a training bond for training that is a regulatory or customer requirement is abusive, and illegal in the labour codes of most if not all Canadian jurisdictions. This type of agreement, especially when it is an all-or-nothing agreement, places the employee in a state of servitude with respect to his employer.

In our rather small industry, chronic jumpers tend to build negative reputations when they jump ship too often or at the wrong moment. In the same vein, most companies who ask their employees to sign these abusive training bonds tend to be of the lower-tier, chisel charter variety...

Do your homework before you sign anything...

I have not run across anyone who demands a bond, they may have with others, like with pay and rotation, some companies take as much as they can get away with. How many of you have had to sign a document which says you will not discuss your pay with other employees (i have, with a previous employer) and who here talks about how much they make or their rotation with fellow employees or others in industry? Secrecy in this department is to the advantage of the employer, make us scared to ask for anything, even a raise or some time off, etc. I had someone in the past tell me "i was lucky to have a job" and that they "could find someone to do it for free" I no longer work there... even though after i quit they messaged me many times to work contract for them. Did any of you watch the movie i posted the title of? (Inequality For All)
It is to the benefit of the employee to ask his fellow engineers and pilots how much they make and for them to share. Think about it, other than being embarrassed about making so LITTLE, how does not talking about wages and rotation affect the employee. Are you afraid that if someone makes less than you, if they learn your pay that yours will be decreased and theirs increased? Why the secrecy? Any employers care to comment? There studies that show that secrecy is actually not good for the company as then people in most cases actually think others make much more than they have guessed and it effects moral in a negative way. better to have everything out in the open, this guy makes so much because he has been here so long and brings these skills to the table, etc. , studies show that in most cases employees will accept this explanation.
As far as a training bond goes, it's fair i think if an employer puts 6 or 10 k into you that they have some assurance that you will not walk out the door. Do your research, ask questions so there are no surprises and get your agreement in writing. I have never signed one but have also never walked out on anyone in the middle of the season.
W.