Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Some Smart People Think Unions Are Good.

With all their faults, trade unions have done more for humanity than any other organization of men that ever existed. They have done more for decency, for honesty, for education, for the betterment of the race, for the developing of character in men, than any other association of men.

Clarence Darrow

If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept it all to themselves.

Lane Kirkland

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.

Abraham Lincoln

You can't do it unless you organize.

Samuel Gompers

If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor.

Frank Lloyd Wright

The model of ownership, in a society organized round mass consumption, is addiction.

Christopher Lasch

The term 'free market' is really a euphemism. What the far right actually means by this term is 'lawless market.' In a lawless market, entrepreneurs can get away with privatizing the benefits of the market (profits), while socializing its costs (like pollution).

Steve Kangas

These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people.

Abraham Lincoln

Although it is true that only about 20 percent of American workers are in unions, that 20 percent sets the standards across the board in salaries, benefits and working conditions. If you are making a decent salary in a non-union company, you owe that to the unions. One thing that corporations do not do is give out money out of the goodness of their hearts.

Molly Ivins

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell.

Confucius

If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion.

George Bernard Shaw

• Like 4

In theory, they can do a lot of good. In theory, Communism should do a lot of good. The problem is that good intentions can be hijacked (just as Communism was), and unions are not any less immune to corruption than any other organisation. Power corrupts and powerful unions are just as corrupt as any corporation or government.

Health & saftey, labour laws, enforcing contracts, etc, yes all fine and dandy. Squeezing every last penny possible out of tax payers for public worker contracts, pay and retention based soley on seniority, not allowing workers to go 'above and beyond', unsustainable pensions, etc, sorry I won't drink the cool-aid.

I ain't no die-hard capitalist, but the world needs competition and meritocracy in order to progress just as much as it does health and labour laws. Unions squash competition and merit as often as corporations squash health and labour laws. Nature requires a balance, not extremes...

• Like 3

Watch the movie "Inequality For All", and you will see that the facts do not support the opinions of the last three posters. Yes i agree that some public sector workers are overpaid for what they bring to the table but over all unions made for a very prosperous middle class which has for all intents and purposes vanished and it is the middle class with it's buying power that supports and drives the economy. WATCH THE MOVIE !

By the way how's not having a united front working for our industry, pretty good for the companies i would say. Wouldn't it be nice if no mater which company in Canada you worked for the pay would be the same based on location, type of work and type of machine, etc, instead of having to broker your own deal every time and being beaten down?

W.

• Like 1

I suppose, it depends a lot of where you are in your life. If you're now the owner or manager of a company, then unions are probably perceived as a "bad thing." If you're a young person trying to make a "fair" living in this industry, with decent rotations etc., maybe unions would be a good thing? 'Way better minds than mine have tried to figure it out..........

R...

Unions created a very comfortable middle class with the emergence of the manufacturing sector in the 20th century. It didn't require a great deal of skill or training for a group of employees to produce a product with significant value. Unions made sure those employees were compensated adequately and treated fairly. Thanks to unions, we have things like 40 hour work weeks, weekends off, and statutory holidays. It is the decimation of the manufacturing sector that has seen a decline in the overall middle class in North America. And a rise of it overseas.

Our industry is too small, too specialized, and somewhat seasonal for a 'one size fit all' package that a union would offer, in the overall scheme of things.

Unions work best for large corporations having thousands or even tens of thousands of employees where it isn't practical to have an employer negotiate terms with individual employees. Best to have the employees appoint a representative to negotiate on their behalf collectively.

A Union would put me on a level playing field as every other pilot out there. I did'nt want that when I started out as a 100 hr wonder and I certainly don't want it now.

I remember when I was in flight school, it was apparent that most of the other students were not the type that were ever going to get a job as a pilot. At the same time I had a buddy that was just starting out as a fixed wing pilot. He got into Air Canada which was unionized and it was really aparent how much easier it was for me to progress in the helicopter world.

I dont get beaten down... I get work when I want it. Life is good!

Amazing how some beleive they need a Union to protect them with things like Labour boards and Human Rights. There was a time when Unions did wonderful things in factories etc were people worked in incredibly bad conditions for nothing. What those that think they need a Union seem to forget is it's a free country and if you don't like it leave. No one is holding a gun to your head to stay.

I don't need a Union to fight for me i have 2 feet and a back bone. I certainly don't think we should all be treated the same. There are pilots out there with thousands of hours under their belt that cannot move a drill and fly a longline. All they want to do is fly what ever fits in the cabin or basket. So why should they make the same money as a low timer that can move drills etc. Your wage should be determined by your ability, hours and attitude.

Rather then fighting for a Union maybe you should put your time into not allowing the government to issue Visa's to pilots that will come in to Canada and work for less.

A wise man once told me "Unions exist because abusive employers exist".

We have seen a few examples where the employees of certain helicopter companies unionized or tried to unionize. Lets face it: The Canadian helicopter industry is made up mostly of fairly small, privately owned companies. Trying to unionize workers accross the board is unrealistic. At best, unions might make their way into some of the bigger, publicly traded players, and that could benefit the non-union shops indirectly.

The US has a multitude of very large operators. How many of them are unionized ? Remember what happened at PHI a few years ago ?

Seems to me we've visited and re-visited this subject ad nauseam over the years... :rolleyes: