Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Some Smart People Think Unions Are Good.

So typical of his disruptive, misinforming posts on this forum, Mr. Lewis has borrowed whatever he feels supports the position he chooses to take and, as usual, it is a negative one. I'm reminded of Spiro Agnew's "nattering nabobs of hegativism." A truly accomplished 'faeces agitator,' if I understand correctly, he's now achieved the pinnacle of that craft - politics. Might we be so fortunate as to have his time required at other than messing in our industry?

• Like 3

Well, MR. Lewis is entitled to his opinion. I do believe that time and agian a little disruptive poke gets us all thinking.

The whole union/ association matter has been discussed in the past and it was concluded that due to the distribution amongst many businesses it would be a logistical nightmare to form such a group under any definition.

Until such a group was formd there is no telling what the outcome would be.

Stranger things have happened though.

P5

Your original post pissed me off so much,,,how many veterans did you alienate with this quote. And did you know that Darrow defending some of the best scum in his time and should perhaps look him up before you quote him. Yes unions have served their purpose but you methodology for bringing this to light is something to be desired.

Look, If you think you're being treated unfairly by your employer call the labour board. They work in black or white, if you have a legitimate grievance they'll walk you through sorting it out or they'll sort it out for you. If your employer is above board and operating in accordance to the law they'll tell you and educate you.

OR, quit. Find a different company, go to one of the big guys that do have a union or find a different career.

If this problem seems to follow you everywhere you go? Maybe its time to stop blaming the companies?

• Like 1

29 US states have instituted right to work legislation which makes it illegal for unions to force you to be a member. Wages in those 29 states have dropped across the board by an average of 10%. They also have given the employer the right to fire without just cause. Doesn't matter how strong your backbone is, if they say your gone, your gone. But in Canada that doesn't matter as the government defiantly has the employees back. I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!!

I was visiting a helicopter hangar recently and saw one engineer taking off an engine cowling, and a few minutes later another engineer put it back on.

So I asked what they were doing.

They replied, "We're a union shop, and it's my job to take the cowling off, and Bob's job to adjust the fuel control, and then Steve's job to put the cowling back on....but Bobs off work sick today".

• Like 1