Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Crews & Guns

Rosco

Does anyone still "pack" in their kit?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TQN ---- to simplify for you, ANYTHING Federal is carried out by the RCMP and CSIS. The vast majority of that is done bt the RCMP, leaving intelligence work to CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service). All, but two Provinces also sign contracts with the RCMP to provide provincial and much of the small town police functions within those provinces. The scope of the RCMP is also without equal on your side of the border. They enforce the Inland Waters and Navigation Act, The Liquor Control Act, The Income Tax Act, Customs and Immigration Act, Animal Husbandry Act, Indian Act and also the do the Highway patrols in all provinces, but two. These two mentioned provinces have their own provincial police forces, very similar in duties to your Colorado State Police. If you like, the RCMP do the duties of the FBI, DEA, Secret Service, US Marshalls Office, ATF and State and as mentioned, many local police forces. They also have Air and Sea Divisions. I thought this was another good occasion to help you see another difference between us and understand us a bit better.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of being in a small enclosed space with people with guns (no matter how proficient they are at weapons handling) gives me the creeps. Closest I ever came to getting shot in the military was while on patrol in Cyprus. We were in tha back of a Grizzly and one of my "buddies" had an accidental discharge. Luckily, the first "soft" thing the bullet hit was a tarp...

The idea of being in a small enclosed space with people with guns (no matter how proficient they are at weapons handling) gives me the creeps.

Just make a "tour" in Iraq or another similar "hot spot" and when you come back not only you will never leave home with one but your "creeps" problem is gone too. In certain places your life depends on it...

Agreed, BaldEagle. Sadly, though, what used to involve only some nuisance time getting appropriate authorities here in Canada has become nearly a career chore. And then there are too many others interfering with the whole question (e.g. twitch's company rescinding 'permission').

I used to carry a .357 Ruger Blackhawk with 'dum-dum' and 'shot' loads but, these days, tend to pretty much avoid the wilderness because carrying is just too much hassle. If I were going back to white bear country, though, I'd absolutely have to go to the trouble for a breakdown piece of some sort.

The .357 was good in the Bell 47, small and light, etc., especially after almost losing an ear to a 30-30 that came off the firewall demonstrating Newton's law, but I'd be pretty much with Cap on the 'over and under' were I to rearm. It can be found with .30-06, too, which lends itself to reaching out a bit further (e.g for a goat or sheep). I almost carried a 'breakdown' Remington 12 gauge 'Defender' working up north on mediums. Bird or squirrel shot, and some double-0 buck round out the package there, but it's a big, heavy carry. Wouldn't hold me back if I had to go back to the islands, though. B)

P.S. Cap, if that's simplifying I'm awful glad you didn't give us the detailed version. ;)

Many years ago, my late Father who flew F/W bush,had to go and pick up some fishermen..er fisherpeople which is the correct term nowadays.He was to go somewhere in Quetico Park in North western Ontario to pick them up.As he was loading them up along came the OMNR and check on all the people.Then they went and searched the Norseman and found my Father's broken down 12 gauge which he always carried for his own part of his survival kit.They charged him with having a gun in a Provincial Park .It went to court and the Judge threw it out of court as he agreed it was part of Dad's survival kit.Can you be in any National or Provincial Park with a gun ???Maybe it was just a vendetta against the company or my Father ,I really don't know.

Elaberating on the topic, it makes sense to me to have a weapon up north just in case, Its the whole gun registry that throws me off, So all the hunters have to register their firearms, and now have a balistic "fingerprint" if I may, I mean what kind of a pocher or thug is gonna register their gun i could see having a registry but little johnny isnt going to register the gun he knocked over the 7-11 with so its just a big waste of money,but I digress if I did more than small flights from here to here and was somewher where there was a risk of being say... EATEN, like say this poor 206l :(

Great Slave equips all of their remote camps with a 12 Ga (rubber and slugs) for the Grizzlies. Makes the whole registration issue easy. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for you when you are 25 nm from base with a bear on your a**.

Rubber bullets are a really nice tree hugging option, but I wouldn't want to try them with an angry grizzly closing in...

The friendly camp caribou like to stand under the rotor to keep the mosquitos away in the summer (had a few come real close to wandering into my tail rotor on a few occasions). The rubber bullets were nominally more effective at chasing the caribou away from the helicopters than the bear bangers and pepper spray...