Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Crews & Guns

Rosco

Does anyone still "pack" in their kit?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hmmmmm guns and bored Pilots and engineers..............last time (10years ago) I was at a job with a gun the 212 door was on the ground and in the way of the buckshot. I still wounder how they explained that one. Just use the longline and do a round off heli Polo. wack it with the hook.....never came back ..... :up:

thats why u got the wildlife monitor....lol safest place is right in front of the gun ......

and there r polar bears..........how does it feel just to be food........??

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best story i heard about that was 2 guys out hiking when confronted by grizzly sow getting ready to charge... 1 guy sits down and starts taking off his boots to put on running shoes.. buddy sez no way you can outrun a bear with those... guy sez "don't need to outrun the bear.."... :up: B)

Always found it interesting when I had the occasion to carry a rifle for the customer. Conversation went something like ths:

Is it empty? :oops: Yes.

Are you sure? :unsure: Yes.

Wait, when you put it in the back seat, put it in barrel down on the floor, (they always want to put the butt end down on the floor) and when they ask "why?" I would say; "I was taught that there is no such thing as an empty / unloaded gun - and when it goes off I would rather have a hole in the floor than my transmission." :lol:

Have been lucky enough to never have worked where the white bears are out to get you. Used to have a crusing crew that carried the defender scattergun, but never the need to use it. :up:

Rifles go into my a/c the bolts are pulled, chambers checked and bolts separated from the rifle. Semi-automatics have the chamber cleared and magazines pulled....empty or not. If some shooting is going to take place from the a/c, we go to the staging area with the weapon unloaded. Once there they load the weapon, the door comes off/slid back and they sit next to the breeze, however cold. That shooting from the a/c will also be done with a "deflector" attached to the rifle so that the casings don't come out and UP. Don't want to do that or ain't properly equipped to do......find another pilot.

"I was taught that there is no such thing as an empty / unloaded gun - and when it goes off I would rather have a hole in the floor than my transmission."  :lol:

This just shows that you are a civvy trained civvy pilot... :D

Military operations are another completely different thing... Arms fully loaded and ready to fire two minutes before lauching because the security of the chopper also depends on the first reactions... :shock:

Of course many main blades damaged because of empty cartridges making a mess out of them... but nobody is counting money in those situations. B)

Sorry sir, those are my "civilian rules" .......all the "critters" in 'Nam' shot back during my two tours. We didn't have the enviroment to be able to load inside 2 minutes.....the neighbours weren't that friendly, so they were always loaded.

In the civilan world I trust nobody when they say the chamber is clear and if anything is going to "go off accidentally" inside MY aircraft, it'll be me if I see a loaded chamber. If the "critters" might also be shooting back, again get another pilot because I'm done with that and the company insurers would take a dim view also. That all comes from a having a round from an "empty" .300 Winchester Magnum go off inside my a/c.

I was in the Arctic,when they were trying to get the Inuit to register and lock up etc,The look they were giving the civil servants was funny indeed..If you saw that pic of the huge 1400 lb grizzly in Alaska,there was a second pic of one of the two people he attacked and killed the day before after getting 4 slugs in him...For reference,He was tall enough to look in a second story window the story said. It took 2 mags to put him down the second time...So I took a defender as well..