Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Crews & Guns

Rosco

Does anyone still "pack" in their kit?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Try reading your pocket book, laying on your bed in the corner of an insulated Parkhall quonset on Prince Patrick Island in the Arctic and have 13' of Polar bear come through the wall where you're laying. Visualize 4 guys trying to get out the same 30" wide door at the same time in their jockey shorts........and yeah...I believe a grizzly being able to look in a 2nd story window......specially an Alaskan grizzly with an attitude.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just shows that you are a civvy trained civvy pilot... Military operations are another completely different thing... 

Quite right. Thought this was a civvy thread. :shock:

Lucky enough to not have ever been anywhere where someone might shoot back, so wouldn't comment on that at all. :down:

I typically add + 1,000 ft to my cruise altitudes after September 10th every year for 4 reasons......the opening of hunting season, guns, rednecks and alcohol !

Fred Fandrich got shot at (and hit !)...on his short lived "Heli-Hiking program for Inmates" at Kent Maximum Security Institution many years ago.

I typically add + 1,000 ft to my cruise altitudes after September 10th  every year for 4 reasons......the opening of hunting season, guns, rednecks and alcohol !

Fred Fandrich got shot at (and hit !)...on his short lived "Heli-Hiking program for Inmates" at Kent Maximum Security Institution many years ago.

Uhh, wasn't that the "Run, Shoot, Fly" marathon? I know one of the guards there and he told me how many rounds were expended and Fred told me how many connected. The ratio is about 23:1 so the skies are still relatively safe here in Canada.

The skies are safe until you put yourself in "harm's way". One of those many occasions is when you allow yourself to used as the pilot to fly managment over picket lines. Then you find out where all the idiots are and one of them is between the cyclic and the collective. Taking a couple of high calibre rounds up through the tail-boom confirms that.

If one is ever posted to such an adventure, I suggest strongly that they think long and hard on it or run the risk of learning the hard way, such as I did. During hunting season, I agree totally with 407 Driver and I also try to fly stright lines during those times also, otherwise one runs the risk of being accused of circling over areas to spot game and one can expect a possible visit from the local gendarmes.

Yes, I do. For many years I carried a Bolt Action Rifle, in 6.5 x 55. 40 rounds ammo. Now I just carry a .22 rifle and two boxes of ammo. The 22 is lighter and its easier to collect the small game that is aways around when needed. The Ideal would be an over and under .22 and 30-30 or .410. Savage use to make such a rifle, don't know if they still do. Never was much for pistols or handguns, some like them, I perfer a good rifle, that is properly set up. Its a real personal thing.

No problem spotting game from an aircraft CAP, you just can't hunt for 24 hours ...or something like that?.

Our Game Warden, who drinks our Base Coffee quite often, says ...Totally UN-enforceable Law anyway.

Doesn't matter to me, as I'm a member of WCWC, GreenPeace, Sierra Club, and Earth First :D:D:D plus a vegetarian too ! B)