Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Are There Any Apprentices Here Who Are Getting Their Experience From The Military?

bandoliers06

I graduated from BCIT last summer, and I still can't find a job with helicopters. I'm starting to think that companies only want guys with some helicopter experience already, I don't even have a month started yet. My family and friends are telling me I should apply as an Aerospace Engineering Officer. I looked at the webpage and I chatted with someone whos currently in the military in person. He mentioned that if you start from the bottom you will have better respect along the way than if you were to just go in for the job already with an AME license. Seems like some words from the wise, but it wasn't really what I was looking for before I jump into this so thats why I'm asking here, whats it like for the wrench monkeys in the military?

• Like 2

I'm starting to think that companies only want guys with some helicopter experience already,

Not true. I know of a couple of apprentices hired last year right out of school. It's just slow right now. Some of the jobs may not be close to home though. You may have to go where the work is.

The jobs postings should start ramping up shortly for the season.

I'll bite.... I started my maintenance in the Air Force on the Griffons, which is basically a 412. Did the bridging from military to civy, exams, tasks, time.... and got an M2 in Dec '05. Had a great time learning there, and was able to "fit in" to the civy world. Some don't. A year later got my M1. I was AVN Tech 514, but I believe it has changed and not sure what it is now. The training and experience there is as good as you make it to be, as it would be anywhere else.

AEO is very different and would take you on a different path. The perks would be good and if you can come out with a degree, awesome.

Civy work pays better, and you have more control over your life. The military will take you places that you never thought of going or would never ever want to go and you might get to throw grenades.

Have you considered moving up north?

That's my goal, but a couple of AMOs I talked to need me to get my full drivers license (bc is bull, I'm just on my N)

Not true. I know of a couple of apprentices hired last year right out of school. It's just slow right now. Some of the jobs may not be close to home though. You may have to go where the work is.

I hear its slow from a lot of people, but I just keep on denying it when I find out people from my class found jobs already. One of the reasons why I want to move up north and even to another city like Ft. Mac is just so I can find the job I'm looking for.

The jobs postings should start ramping up shortly for the season.

I'll bite.... I started my maintenance in the Air Force on the Griffons, which is basically a 412. Did the bridging from military to civy, exams, tasks, time.... and got an M2 in Dec '05. Had a great time learning there, and was able to "fit in" to the civy world. Some don't. A year later got my M1. I was AVN Tech 514, but I believe it has changed and not sure what it is now. The training and experience there is as good as you make it to be, as it would be anywhere else.

AEO is very different and would take you on a different path. The perks would be good and if you can come out with a degree, awesome.

Civy work pays better, and you have more control over your life. The military will take you places that you never thought of going or would never ever want to go and you might get to throw grenades.

This is good information, I'm sure it will work out for me because the whole reason I even got into this career is because I'm mechanically inclined and I hate the consumer work.

Hey man,

I know this might not be easy to hear but if you don't have a full license I can only assume that you're still young. Be patien if you want to be in the commercial market. If you want to go the military route, go for it and thank you for your service to this amazing country we all call home.

R

Like R0T0R said, if you are young enough to have your N still, your young enough to wait it out if need be. Give it until March and people will be ramping up. Great Slave just put out another batch of ads looking for wrenches. Time to find an apartment in Yellowknife and you are away to the races!

Come to Alberta, get you drivers Lic. asap and forget that N bullshit. If you walk in the door with your tools, proper clothing, keen, clean and positively mean (in a nice way) also willing to live in a crew house for a few years you'll be alright. Sitting on the couch and sending out resume's not going to work for you as well as knocking on the door ready to go. Start now in Feb and March. There are 7 to 9 company's in Ft Mac (Depending on the day) with more moving bases here all the time. Terrace is becoming the centre of the universe in BC. many Heli Co's there. Good luck !