Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Standard Weights

So 407 Driver walked over to the grocery pile and picked up a bag of flour, set it on the scale and said, "looks like it's pretty accurate to me!"

L.O.L. :up: :up: Very ballsy 407D :up: I can't stop laughing!!!!! What do you say when your wife steps on your bathroom scale and says the same thing?? :up:

Thanks for the enlightenment Cap & H.V.! I now understand what you meant in your previous post. Makes sense to me!!!!! B)

How bout it Sissyphus??? Are ya happy pappy with the boys's responses to your initial post or what????

Ladies and gentlemen, another hit and run presented by your friendly neighborhood Sissyphus!

He doesn't hit often but most of the time he starts what ends up being a pretty interesting thread! B)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the ell would anyone overload a helicopter intentionally because the AIP of all things says the weights are too low. Most company's weight and balance reports use 170 lbs per passenger for nominal weights. That to me is more of a problem as most com's say that an example w & b is done and as long as the pic is within these EXTREME limits a full computation doesn't need to be done. This is a crock. I set up examples which do use extreme limits and go from there.

The pic is responsible to know the weights and if you want to use mickey mouse and associates as averages or real world weights is up to said individual. If company won't back you ciao baby.

Yes they did change the averages, interesting side note, the FAA changed there's in mid 04 and apparently they are only 184 lbs in the US.

sc

LOL :D:D :up: I forgot that you were here then, Skids-Up. She wasn't a happy person when I proved the scales accurate. Probably lost a customer for life then.

Jetbox, I have a "special" bag of flour, when the good woman askes me about the Home scales..... See Dear, the scales ARE out by 50 lbs, no need to worry, you look great :rolleyes:

Skully, as you know.... get 11 skiers of ------ nationality, plus one guide, and it can easily weigh in at 2800 lbs or 233 per seat ! Not much room left for fuel if you want to ski from 9,000 @ -5C :shock:

407D;

Before anybody told me about using published weights and before weigh scales were used heliskiing I was told by a much more senior pilot that men on average are 205 lbs prior to any day packs and such. It is a pretty useful average if you are not able to weigh em. Biggest extreme I saw was 1600 lbs of lovely ladies and 2600 lbs of laborous lunkers with two other groups in between. Funny how every time had to go for fuel was when the lunkers needed pickup next, murphy....

firewood and passengers are the hardest weights to estimate i find!! Have seen extremely fit women weigh in a 165 lbs and seemingly stocky men a 145, strange.

Sorry but my point was that companies can easily set up extremes for each machine and THEN the pic can fit normal practices in without fear of exceeding a c of g limit. Performance is a minute by minute calculation, agree.

sc

(1) the Flight Manual on any a/c is just a "base line" to work from or a bare minimum of information needed to operate that a/c safely. The rest of the information needed comes from others, experience and manuals such as the M & O. THAT is one of the primary reasons, that eons ago it was SOP to send an inexperienced pilot with a very experienced pilot with, in some cases, orders to the pilot to "listen to that man and ask him questions, He's a ton of knowledge and don't waste it". That's also where I get my personal respect for engineers from and I say it unabashedly, I'm here today because I listened to them and sometimes I was an assh*le to make listen.

(2) To those who use the stated AIP weights as the last word on legality, consider this. Load your a/c up to stay within those stated figures if so desired. IF and WHEN you should have an accident and MoT appears on scene with insurance folks, you had better pray that the ACTUAL weight of that load is within the FM capibilities of that a/c. If you end up 500lbs over those numbers, having used the AIP figures will not save your *** in a Court of Discovery. In an ideal world each passenger would get weighed, their baggage and all sundry items put on that a/c. In the "real world" that does not happen and in many cases cannot. Therefore, one's eyeball and educated "guesstimate" PLUS knowing what your a/c is saying to you BEFORE committal to take-off, must take it's place. If a pilot cannot "guesstimate" and/or doesn't know his a/c that well to stay legal, then I suggest that he's on the wrong job, needs OJT with an experienced pilot-on-type with him (if possible) or wasn't ready for a check-out on that type of a/c in the first place. Whatever a/c he flies, he better be able to make accurate judgements concerning that aircraft's capilbilities because the vast majority if it ain't written in any AIP or Flight Manual........and sometimes can't even do what they say it should be able to do.

even though passenger weights are the big issue with this thread, don't forget all the rest too. it all makes a difference. Anyone have that sticky red earth area mud collect on the bearpaws and skids? I bet it's density equals 100lbs/cu.ft

A cu/ft of mud? thats a lot of mud

:elvis:

Sounds like another beauty of a place I had the misfortune of being at ....the garden of Edra....can you say...drink the water that comes from the slew next to the runway... oh yeh...brings back some nightmares...are you sure that jetbox can't carry four passengers,a trunk full of fire gear and a full tank of fuel with the rangextender topped right up....was sure the last guy could....and a bucket in our fancy carrying rack.....no sir...here is the numbers...read em and weep....get me another pilot....this one has a brain!!!!!!!! :angry: