Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Doug Makkonen

Hello everyone,

A good man and fellow pilot is in need of help. He is a fantastic pilot, great mentor and better friend. For those of you who have met Doug I'm sure have some good stories to tell!!

Doug urgently needs your financial support. Doug travelled to the USA to rescue his wife, Adaire, after she had a motor vehicle accident. While travelling Doug contracted the flu bug that kept him in a coma for 5 days at a cost of $10000 per day. He is now awake at a hospice in Las Vegas but too weak to travel back to Canada. Adaire is with him and needs our support. A bank account has been set up in trust to collect funds to help with medical bills, details are: Scotia Bank – make cheques payable to the account of “For the benefit of Douglas Makkonen” account number- 709200524085. This account is being administered by Bill and Marinka Darling, P.O. Box 5322 Haines Junction, Yukon, Y0B 1L0 - you can also mail us a cheque. You can also drop off a cheque or money at our home at Mile Post 1020 Alaska Hwy, 5 km north of Haines Junction, past the pullout, first house on right starting Monday after noon (Feb 24) Telephone numbers- home – 867-634-2266 or Marinka’s cell- 867-335-9714 Thanking you all in advance and please be generous at their time of need. Please spread far and wide.

If you need any other information Marinka Darling's email is darlingmarinka@hotmail.com

Thanks for reading and if you can afford any help it would be greatly apreciated.

Cheers,

Randy

• Like 2

Bill, Randy:

Very sorry to hear of Doug's plight. He was one of my instructors in 1977-78 and occaisonally ever since. And now and again I fill in for him, very modestly, at Haines Junction.

He is certainly a legend in the North, in helicopter training and in the high altitude rescue world. No one can top his stories.

I wish the best for him and Adaire, thanks for letting us know.

Cheers . . . . Spring Harrison

• Like 1