Spliting The Cost Of Hour Building For Faa Atp 50Hrs Night & Instrument

• 2 months later...

I'd be interested as well. I've been considering ding some time-building for recency, and the cost down there is a lot more affordable. Sounds like I'd need an FAA private in order to lease a machine solo for building time, can you carry pax on a solo lease from a school in the states? At least then I could take the wife out and do some aerial photos or something while we're down there.

• 1 month later...

For all those interested I just finished up some hour building in Florida, I got a restricted FAA PPL to legally fly a N-Reg (Paper work only), Did a flight review to validate the restricted PPL through the school I rented the aircraft from. Planned 2 weeks to build 50 hours night, and 1 week to do the ATP check ride. Got the 50 hrs night done in 8 nights with decent weather and the ATP training and check ride took 3 days. I needed TSA security check to do FAA ATP since I have never had a stand alone FAA licence.

Paperwork takes minimum 1 month for validation of foreign licence to get the FAA PPL based on foreign licence. As well as the AFSP or TSA security clearance takes about the same.

I split the cost of Flight hours 50/50 all log able taking the safety pilot route, hotels, car rental, etc, All in with airfare from Vancouver, food, car, hotel and about 50hrs of hour building and another 6hrs for the ATP I paid under $14K

I forgot to mention that it was not that easy to find a school to rent us a Schweizer . And under FAA regs to fly a R-22 you need SFAR 73 tanning which is 10hrs to fly solo in an R-22. But if it can be incorporated into training it would be cheaper plus there are a lot more R-22 around than Schweizer's to rent.