Unknown Gazelles

Zishelix,

That is HF or Single Sideband antenna base. I bought a Sun Air HF radio and antenna from Ron Jeffrey from Finning's Gazelle in 1979, installed it on our Bell 47G3B1, C-FWBK (old Transwest 1965 Ltd. heli)I had a double whip on the end, 2- 16 inch or so whips pointing 10:00 and 2:00. 4.441 MHZ was standard

GSC frequency, ours was 4.455 MHZ. I remember talking to a buddy in a cargo DC 8 over Iceland from our Bell 47 when we were flying around one day. 4681 was Bob Holt frequency I think (Cariboo Chilcotin Helicopters) Faye was on the radio all the time for check ins when no one was at our base.

Had a VIH machine stop over one day, our bull got pissed off with this Jetranger, had a stareout with it, then charged to the front, tossed his head around, HF antenna snapped off and went flying up in the air!

B.M.

Had a VIH machine stop over one day, our bull got pissed off with this Jetranger, had a stareout with it, then charged to the front, tossed his head around, HF antenna snapped off and went flying up in the air!

What a story! :) Thanks for your kind explanation regarding HF antenna, Black Mike.

I wonder if any of you gentleman might have some photo of those Sunwest Helicopters Gazelle. All I have is one small & blur image of an magazine cover scan (see this thread's post #3).

Much appreciate!

I noticed such "decoration" on Canadian Gazelles only. Was the size of antenna in connection with duties in remote areas where some of them frequently operated? (Excuse my ignorance)

We had them on most of our machines in the 80s. Used them mostly for communications with our company over long distances. The whip in your picture is tuneable for different HF frequencies. You could always get somebody, somewhere on 5680 if you had a problem. A lot of us did....

R...

Zishelix,

That is HF or Single Sideband antenna base. I bought a Sun Air HF radio and antenna from Ron Jeffrey from Finning's Gazelle in 1979, installed it on our Bell 47G3B1, C-FWBK (old Transwest 1965 Ltd. heli)I had a double whip on the end, 2- 16 inch or so whips pointing 10:00 and 2:00. 4.441 MHZ was standard

GSC frequency, ours was 4.455 MHZ. I remember talking to a buddy in a cargo DC 8 over Iceland from our Bell 47 when we were flying around one day. 4681 was Bob Holt frequency I think (Cariboo Chilcotin Helicopters) Faye was on the radio all the time for check ins when no one was at our base.

B.M.

4065 at Frontier ..... used Gopher Expediting and Don Taylor for flight watch ..... lots of times on 4441.

Tried to reach FSS in Watson Lake from about 50 miles out on 5680 - I got Baker Lake instead - CAFB