Personal Flight Kit

Great post!
Lots of people can take in a lot from this, including me.
Personally, I keep candles, lighter, matches and flint.. for the weight it takes i like it to have options for the worst condition. Also extra mirror, some water cleaning tabletts, a real knife (http://www.moraofsweden.se/products/adventure)

a wire snare, an extra swiss army, and extra survival blanket. all in a rubber bag that is water proof.

I also use a waterproof bag and have a toiletpaper roll in it. luxury you might say, but twice I had customers borrowed some. and where very greatful for it.
keep er coming

4 years ago, I did 30+ hours of volunteer searching for a missing hiker who was friends with a lot of my friends. His body was never found, despite it being one of the largest and longest searches in BC's history. I wrote this as an observation of a pilot as to what I see, and what is going to get you found from the air.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36672&whichpage=19

The biggest thing I took away as an observation was the visibility of pink flagging tape from the air. After the first day of searching, I added a roll to my survival kit and always carry it with me. It's small, light, and extremely visible.

http://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-6089FP/Flagging-and-Marking/Fluorescent-Pink-Flagging-Tape?pricode=DK757&gadtype=pla&id=47588014508&gclid=COnAnajV_LwCFY0-MgodCXsAbg&gclsrc=aw.ds

And you can get biodegradable versions.

http://www.hazmasters.com/Mutual-Industries-Flagging-Tape

On my person I always have a knife, multi tool (not a cheep one they always break when you need it) small flashlight and a lighter. In my flight bag that I always have close to me within a arms reach there is some 550 paracord, a little larger knife, small sharpening stone, bigish stainless steel cup, more fire gear, snare wire, another flashlight with spare batteries, electrical tape, duct tape, one of those foil emergency blanket, work gloves, flagging tape, travel soap that comes as little leaflets in a container the size of dental floss, some tea, cups of soup, salt n pepper, my lunch is usually in this bag as well that includes a water bottle and thermos depending on the season,sometimes a Grandfors Burks hatchet (depending on the job and location. Im a axe guy and hate the crap they buy for the machines) and sometimes a small take down .22 rifle if its small game season ( helps with the boredom of waiting around on those crappy jobs). I don't bother with water filters or tablets there is plenty of good water in the areas where I work as well the stainless steel cup can be used to boil water and bug jacket ( seasonal). I have also been thinking about adding a change of clothes vacuum packed nice and small for those times you get stuck for a few nights on that trip that the costumer said you'll be back the same day. Theres probably other stuff collected over the years if i dig through it. All this is in a small bag its seem like a lot now that I have it typed out but it really don't take up a lot of room. Good thread I always like hearing what other people carry, Iam always adding/ modifying. Oh toilet paper is on the AC minimum equipment list!

All this is in a small bag its seem like a lot now that I have it typed out but it really don't take up a lot of room.

This brings up another good point, as to what size day bag you guys use your various gear? Obviously, we fly different machines and a 212 pilot can afford to go a little more luxurious than someone in a 206B. What do you find it the best balance between capacity (for you) and weight/space savings?

I'm currently flip-flopping between my 2 bags:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/SITKA-GEARSLINGER-37p926.htm

and

http://int.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-24-Backpack.html

The Maxpedition is built better, and is a great little bag for space savings but you'd be hard pressed to fit survival gear + lunch + extra clothes in it. The chest strap on my 5.11 broke apart the first day I wore it (on a motorbike), but other than that it seems to be holding up well. Obviously is holds a lot more stuff, but takes up one seat in a 206, or a good portion of the cargo hold. I've been packing it lately as my carry-on bag for travelling (it holds my laptop so I don't have to also lug a Pelican briefcase) and then it doubles as my day-bag on the jobs where space/weight aren't a premium.

Good point Bif I should of added that in. I use a Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger Its just like the one you posted but in a bigger version. Maxpedition gear is real nice well built gear tough as nails and well worth the price. The majority of the small things listed fits in the upper outside pouch. You can pack a lot into it if you do it right. Might get some flack for this one but it fits nicely under the little shelf on the copilot side of the astar and fits well in the basket for the survival kit that bolts to the copilot pedal mounting bolts (when its in the baggage) in the 407. A good thing to remember too is this stuff is a get you out of a jam/ make a crappy situition a little more comfortable. My bag is not packed for a two day camping trip just stuff I figured I would like to have 7 in the evening when no one is coming till the next day. I use to use this bag as my carry on on commercial flights but its a pain to try and get all the forbidden tool out every time and i don't want to loose one of my knifes to AP security so now i have to try and cram it into one of my duffel bags.

• Like 1

This brings up another good point, as to what size day bag you guys use for your various gear? Obviously, we fly different machines and a 212 pilot can afford to go a little more luxurious than someone in a 206B. What do you find is the best balance between capacity (for you) and weight/space savings (for the client/machine)?

I'm currently flip-flopping between my 2 bags:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/SITKA-GEARSLINGER-37p926.htm

and

http://int.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-24-Backpack.html

The Maxpedition is built better, and is a great little bag for space savings but you'd be hard pressed to fit survival gear + lunch + extra clothes in it. The chest strap on my 5.11 broke apart the first day I wore it (on a motorbike), but other than that it seems to be holding up well. Obviously is holds a lot more stuff, but takes up one seat in a 206, or a good portion of the cargo hold. I've been packing it lately as my carry-on bag for travelling (it holds my laptop so I don't have to also lug a Pelican briefcase) and then it doubles as my day-bag on the jobs where space/weight aren't a premium.

• 2 years later...

The 2017 season is upon us and this thread contains some very useful info. So I thought I would bump this topic back up.

My personal bag now includes:

-Sawyer mini straw

-Spork eating utensil

-Small folding saw

-MEC mini inflatable seat cushion

-Black Tape, Flagging tape

-Nuts, jerky, power bars

-Foam hearing protection

-Safety glasses

-Flu Meds, Tylenol, Pepto bismal tabs

-Bug jacket, bug head net, bug spray

-Sunscreen & hat

-Winter hat & light cotton gloves

-Black sharpie marker

-Quality foil blanket from MEC

-Gerber Multi tool

-Lighter

-Rubber fueling gloves

-One clean pair socks and undies

-Handheld hiking GPS

-SPOT find me, extra batteries

-Flashlight

All pack up nicely in a small MEC duffle. Any items requiring to be kept dry are stored in zip lock bags.