Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Full Timers And Company Housing

Can anyone elaborate on how their companies housing works in remote areas?

This can include past and present situations.

I just want to gain a better understanding of how other operators go about

providing this benefit to their employees.

Cheers

• Like 4

OMG. It's been many years since I had the pleasure (???) of working in Northern Canada, so my information won't really be valid. But it is such a sad reflection of our industry that a Professional Pilot or Engineer is still having to ask this question in 2014. (and please don't add a comment saying that a union would solve this crap...I don't believe it).

Good Luck.

Every company I've worked for supplies it whether it be hotel, crew house or tent. There is a company in Fort Mac that charges its pilots for it calling it a taxable benefit and the owner is stunned every time someone moves on. Thats why it sounds like a united nations conference in that hangar.

• Like 1

In a nut shell, it's been my experience the worse the accom, the higher the away from base. But not always. On one job, I was housed in a pretty crappy place but the shower worked, the kitchen had what I needed, the bed was clean, so I just got on with things. I was flying big hours so wasn't in the place much.

When I got back to base two weeks later, the base manager rather sheepishly asked how things had gone while I was handing in my flight reports. "It wasn't the Ritz..." I told her. It was then that I found out two previous guys had complained, one bitterly, regarding the place and had to be switched out.

What goes around, comes around. She put me on some of the sweetest jobs that summer and I flew my arse off. Sometimes it really does pay to shut up and put up.

@ Freck - Taxable benefit??? (Shake of the head) Unreal!

• Like 1

In a nut shell, it's been my experience the worse the accom, the higher the away from base. But not always. On one job, I was housed in a pretty crappy place but the shower worked, the kitchen had what I needed, the bed was clean, so I just got on with things. I was flying big hours so wasn't in the place much.

When I got back to base two weeks later, the base manager rather sheepishly asked how things had gone while I was handing in my flight reports. "It wasn't the Ritz..." I told her. It was then that I found out two previous guys had complained, one bitterly, regarding the place and had to be switched out.

What goes around, comes around. She put me on some of the sweetest jobs that summer and I flew my arse off. Sometimes it really does pay to shut up and put up.

@ Freck - Taxable benefit??? (Shake of the head) Unreal!

With all due respect Speedgeeza, pilots. like you are why nothing ever changes in this industry. You put up with sub- standard conditions, then the company figures that everything is fine. Would you have put up with those conditions for 4 weeks on 2 hour mins that weren't being flown?

Nothing's worse than garbage accommadations. I have seen very few company housing situations that were appealing. Unfortunately it's dollars and cents here. To call it a taxable benefit though sounds like a bit of a stretch. Maybe companies should pass on part of the financial benefit of company housing to the employees who use it to make it a bit more palatable. Fortunately I haven't had to be in said siituation for a number of years but I can still feel the pain. ha

With all due respect Speedgeeza, pilots. like you are why nothing ever changes in this industry. You put up with sub- standard conditions, then the company figures that everything is fine. Would you have put up with those conditions for 4 weeks on 2 hour mins that weren't being flown?

Yep ... you can always go home.

• Like 2