Full Timers And Company Housing

I guess the answer to the original question is; the standard is, there is no standard. After all, it is the helicopter business....

To play the devils advocate for a minute. If you take a base job in Whistler, Whitehorse, Campbell River for example, you are expected to pay and provide your own accommodation. So if a said company provided you with $1000.00 for rent, then taxed it, would you not be better off than paying the whole shot yourself?

• Like 2

Guest driver81

I worked for the taxable benefit place. Here's how it worked... Every month you would have $1000 put onto your pay check, get taxed on it, and have $1000 removed after taxes, E.I. etc. The house was nice.... but after it was renovated it had 10 bedrooms (very often all full) and 2 bathrooms. During the summer I was there the owner/operator imported/hired 5 mexicans (you can pay them less than minimum wage via some loophole, who also lived in the house sharing a bedroom and sleeping on the floor. There are reasons the front door there is a revolving one and its hard to find a Canadian accent in the place (housing is only one of them)

Taxable Benefits for accommodation? Does anyone else get taxed on these benefits?

Taxable Benefits for accommodation? Does anyone else get taxed on these benefits?

Technically, if your home address is within 100 km "as the crow flies" from your place of work, and your employer pays for your accommodations, then they should be calculating it as a taxable benefit, but most don't. If, for example, you live in Edmonton and tour in Ft-Mac, and your employer considers the accommodations he provides as being a taxable benefit, he's using you to write off the expense of that housing instead of absorbing it in his overhead. If he pays you extra to cover that taxable benefit, it shouldn't bother you as long as in the end you're not paying more taxes, otherwise, not the kind of place I'd accept to work at. And let me guess: You only find out they're adding that taxable benefit once you've been there awhile and get your first paycheck, right ? <_<

As far as the quality of accommodations on the road go, I usually base my expectaions on what my customers are getting for accommodations, with some exceptions, like forestry in certain provinces (one of which is mentioned above), and tree planting. It's been my experience in general that most customers will either put the pilot and engineer in equivalent or superior housing from what their employees get. Whenever possible, I expect to get an individual room, preferably not directly over the bar... :rolleyes:.

Crew houses vary a lot, even within the same company. How good these crew houses are depends a lot on how much respect fellow pilots and engineers have for one another within the company. Some people are real pigs, and if those who aren't can't be bothered to clean up after the pigs, then the house will go to sh!t in a hurry. If I think there's something wrong with company accommodations, I'll let management know with detail. For example, if there's a mildew problem, which can develop into a OHSA issue, putting it in writing to management usually yields results, if the company cares for its employees that is...