Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ifr Rating

Guest plumber

In Europe, except for one or two countries, the IR test is done in a twin, because that's what you will be using in the real world. My advice would be to get the twin rating first (cheapest is probably the AS 355), get used to it and do the IR much later (in a single!)

Twins are getting much more popular these days because of corporate requirements and their perceived safety - we all know that a twin is only safer when one engine fails, but the general public don't really appreciate that. Back in 2003, Remote were using a 212 around Slave Lake just to move a few boxes around, at customer request. Anyone with a 355 available would have cleaned up.

phil

Hi, i wish to comment on both Dave and Alphadogs posts. They are both valid comments and i just want to add to them. Getting a twin rating is not necessary but most definitely helps! Speaking from experience, Dave did my first twin IFR training and he's correct in that it is a steep learning curve, however it can be done. For VFR pilots it is a big mindset change. Dave was used to the well polished IFR skill set of military pilots. VFR guys are harder work to train. However i continued and now have my ATPL(H) . Working for the air ambulance improved my IFR skills tremendously as did flying in the arctic at night doing instrument take offs, etc.

Ornge, Canadian and HTSC all offer a way into the twin IFR market. Alphadogs comments on the reaction of ex military pilots also is true but cannot be used to paint them all with the same attitude. I think they appreciate the tremendous skill set the VFR pilot comes to them with but only after having to do the VFR jobs themselves, then it sinks home that their own skill set is missing something! To me, the chief pilots need to be flexible and able to feed new pilots into a system designed to bring them up to a captain level over time. I feel this industry has forgotten what it is like to start as a low timer. Business has a cost, pilot training and retention needs to be planned for. As a foreign pilot i filled a gap in the Canadian market but i see that there needs to be more opportunities to go up the ladder! Keep fighting! Aluta Continua!