Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tour Lengths

I am just curious what kind of tours most of you pool guys are working? Assuming the skills/endorsements to do pretty much anything, anyone have a sense of an industry average in the 75-100 grand bracket?

Do any of you guys have employers that tweak the tours length to benefit everyone? I wouldn't be against doing a longer tour at times if neccessary but if given a choice between 80 and 100 grand for 2 and 2, and 4 and 2, respectively. i'd choose 2 and 2, or 3 and 2, it it was possible. I think for me, at 3000hrs, 4 away is too long to do it all the time unless I couldn't find anything else.

• Like 1

Anything other than equal tour lengths will wear on the family and make you a visitor in your own town. Even at an equal 3/3, 2/2 or what ever, you can bet the company expects you to travel and do training on your "time off". So even at an equal tour length you will be away more than at home. I found the 4/2 to be something I could only do as a last resort, like while looking for other work. What ever extra money you make on a 4/2 is only going to go towards the divorce lawyer.

• Like 2

I have been flying for a few years now, I earn your "industry average". I am used to doing a four and two shift. I think that works out to 238 days a year away from home?. Sure is hard on the family and has cost me a divorce. We need to ask ourselves, do we want to be a workaholic, is the time away from home vs the money worth it. lawyers are expensive, and I don't think your employer will help pay that bill. That being said, I do expect to extend a little in the summer and have more time off in the winter. Anything longer than four weeks should be a unanticipated extension, not a scheduled shift. Just speaking for myself, Day 21 is when I have had enough and start getting grumpy. I think we all should be pushing for a three and three shift.

• Like 2

2/2 skiing the last 9 years and anything from 3/2 to a 3/3 for summer firefighting ops. This year we are moving to a 2/2 for firefighting/ hydro work. Equal time seems the way to go. My wife is much happier with it. Life is short, you'll be dead a very long time. Money is less important than good family or play time. It's a balance.

• Like 4