Any Countries Recognize Cdn License At Par?

As for the PHI job, when they say "qualified" they mean you must be male and Muslim. Yes, you can convert to Islam fairly easily to comply with the requirement, but aside from the obvious fact that Islam may not be compatible with your personal convictions, you automatically become subject to Charia (Islamic law), so if you ever get into any trouble while in Saudi Arabia, don't expect your Canadian passport to help you in any way whatsoever...

As for flying N registered aircraft outside the US, no you don't have to be US citizen or resident or have to have a green card. PLaces like Nigeria have lots of US registered helicopters with non-US crews. Afganistan is another example. If you want to fly in those places, then fill yer boots ! You may live some "interesting" experiences though...

• Like 1

I would think you are referring to EAC/CAC as one of those operators. Unless you have previous logging experience on multi's such as a 58T or 61, (at least 4,000 hrs production flying), seismic is not considered much by the way, rarely Crane looks at any pilots under 12,000 hrs total time. Getting hired in Canada is virtually impossible. Any hiring is done by EAC and then you would need an FAA ATPL licence and would be considered a third country flight crew to work anywhere in the world, but the US.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarifcation re N-reg... I had always thought that one could fly in a country outside of US control on an FAA license and not require US work rights but that recent ad made me wonder. Must've been the recruiter's requirement, but interestingly doesn't seem to be PHI's. Don't think I'll be converting to Islam, or male anytime soon.... ;)

• Like 2

Tin Lizzie - Skidz has pretty much said it all - I'm not referring to your dumb questions, but those from the examiners for EASA. The problem is that each country takes on a subject, then the questions are very badly translated into English by French translators and the whole mess is an international joke. Each country gets to use a central question bank, but the UK CAA have modified it as much as possible for common sense.

I just updated the Canadian text the other day, unless you know of anything that's missing. The guys at TC let me know of any regs changes, but obviously not the questions :) and it's easy to miss things. Unless you mean Ryan's question book? I seem to have lost touch with him.

I have a very large database of questions ready that can be found here: rtfq.azurewebsites.net.

At the moment it is biased towards the European Exams, but I have also tried to make it universal, so you can use things like Principles Of Flight, etc without too much trouble as that is pretty much the same anywhere. I will be adding specifically Canadian stuff as barbecues permit.

Apps are simply too much work at the moment - too many platforms.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the clarification! Re the other reference, yes, it was to Ryan's book - specifically the ATPLH (Canada) study guide/sample exams. I guess maybe the market share is too small for anyone to want to keep up on this, which is very unfortunate for those of us that do want to pursue higher licenses.

Anyway, thank you for the reminder of your database, I'll give that a go once I'm done with the FAA exam.

Re apps, yes well, I paid for both the Android and the iOS version of the ASA ATP apps and they were well worth the money. I stopped short of the Windows app since I already have access to the web version on my desktop, however it all made me realize I didn't really need the heavy text I initially bought. :) The Windows app would be useful for someone that didn't have reliable internet, and/or access to other platforms.

Cheers,

tin lizzie

• 1 month later...

Sorry that this is kind of off the original topic, however this is where the discussion was at...

I'm pleased to say I wrote the FAA exam this morning and glad that is out of the way. Now just the training and check-ride left and I'm ready for employment! Well, I'm ready for employment NOW! :)

Further to my last post I ended up getting the Windows app for ASA as well and believe it or not I used all three apps (iOS, Android, Windows)!. I know, what a nerd. In my defense it was handy to be able to study whenever and wherever on whatever platform, and since I did so much comparative study I'm going to send some feedback from my "reviews" to ASA.

If anyone is studying for the FAA ATPL-H exam I highly recommend the ASA materials - particularly the electronic apps. I never cracked the text - too heavy! :) The one thing I might mention though, for those who decide to go app-only, having a paper copy of the computerized testing supplement, along with the associated addendums was highly useful. Too bad I forgot I had those until the last few days of study... lol. Nice to be able to draw right on the charts and fill out all the nav logs so I didn't have to keep re-doing them when taking random tests over and over.

The FAA has an amazing amount of FREE reference materials available - each time I find something new I'm completely blown away by this! They really must want their pilots to be as knowledgeable and professional as possible. Kudos to the FAA!

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/training/

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/

Phil I'll check out your database once I'm done - the Canadian HAMRA and HARON are next up. Still wishing for Canadian sample exams... better yet - an APP! ;)

Cheers,

tin lizzie

• Like 1

Just in the process of adding Canadian specific stuff, like air law and met. Otherwise the subject matter is already good enough for Canada, if a little overkill! You can now find it at www.rtfq.org

There are just too many platforms for anyone but a large company to produce an app.

Phil