Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fast Tracking Skilled Labour Foreign Hires.

If being a Liberal is being against handing our Country away and against losing my civil liberties then I guess I've become a Liberal. Its just too bad these facists hoodwinked me into voting for them in the last 2 elections. Live and learn I spose.

I kinda like Shakey's definition of a Liberal....

Hybrid clearly you have bought into the Trickledown theory if you think the Resource Industry is paying teachers wages. With the Conservative strategy of reducing Corporate Tax/Royalty and adding Subsidy the big players in the Resource sector are contributing next to nothing compared to income, the real payers of teachers salaries comes from the workers of the Resource Industry. When Industry pays lower and lower taxes and is subsidised every year where do you think the money comes from? Looks like you haven't got past the headlines in the teachers dispute either because if you had you would see Teachers refused in their last contract negotiation to agree to a net zero which if they were only interested in the money would have given themselves a raise taken from elsewhere in the existing budget, Teachers argued would be taking from kids, something the BC Liberals had no problem doing. So the BC Liberals appointed Charles Jago to mediate and a contract was imposed of 2 years of zero wage increase, that contract expired in June of last year, so it has now been 3 years of zero. At the same time ALL other Provincial unions agreed to a wage increase taken out of their existing budgets 3 years ago. So just to catch up to the other public sector unions in the Province, teachers should be in-line to a 4% increase for catch up not including the 3 years without the increase The BC Liberals wanted a standardised settlement in the public sector where all the public sector unions get the same wage and benefit increase if at all. However the BC Liberals didn't offer to catch up they offered 0.5% next year nothing for the year just completed without a contract and another 0.5% taken out of the existing benefit package plus 5.5% over the next 5 years and a further 5 years undisclosed which is the same offer to the other unions (however they are already 4% ahead and have had that increase 3 years now) minus the 5 year extension. Teachers are asking for 9% over 3 years retro to last year and cost of living increase.

As far as your statement on Skilled Worker shortage if you have read any news at all over the last few months Hybrid you would see the Harper Conservatives ignored any statistics from StatsCan. Instead the Harper Conservatives used Kijiji and broused the want ads for their data collection to fit their agenda of offering cheap foreign labour. The data available through StatsCan did not support the Harper Conservative viewpoint that there was a significant skills shortage in Canada, therefore not supporting a foreign worker program to fill coffee mugs in Fort Mac. Maybe the Harper Conservatives should just let supply and demand play out, instead of ignoring their own data to justify a shortage that doesn't exist. As far as coffee pourers up north, nobody twisted their arms to open a coffee shop, supply and demand. Why would a Conservative like you Hybrid be all for the Government to subsidise business with cheap foreign labour?

"Don't misunderstand me Winterlog, all resource extraction should be carefully debated and studied. Oil sands, fracking and global warming are serious issues that need to have serious consideration. See a conservative listens to other points of view.." Hybrid.

Unfortunately that viewpoint is not shared by the Harper Conservatives that you support, Hybrid.

As far as changing the political landscape.....one vote at a time!

As far as Liberals being smarter....to be a Liberal means you might have to read past the headline.

• Like 1

If you fly helicopters for fun then I guess you are going to miss the big picture of whats being said here 2007. This will affect every working class Canadian if nothing is done. It's all bad and I am certainly glad I'm not starting out in the work force. Pretty sure if you're OK with whats going on you are rich, greedy, stupid or lack any moral compass. Or are a politician in which the first 4 prerequisites are mandatory.

• Like 1

I kinda like Shakey's definition of a Liberal....

Hybrid clearly you have bought into the Trickledown theory if you think the Resource Industry is paying teachers wages. With the Conservative strategy of reducing Corporate Tax/Royalty and adding Subsidy the big players in the Resource sector are contributing next to nothing compared to income, the real payers of teachers salaries comes from the workers of the Resource Industry. When Industry pays lower and lower taxes and is subsidised every year where do you think the money comes from? Looks like you haven't got past the headlines in the teachers dispute either because if you had you would see Teachers refused in their last contract negotiation to agree to a net zero which if they were only interested in the money would have given themselves a raise taken from elsewhere in the existing budget, Teachers argued would be taking from kids, something the BC Liberals had no problem doing. So the BC Liberals appointed Charles Jago to mediate and a contract was imposed of 2 years of zero wage increase, that contract expired in June of last year, so it has now been 3 years of zero. At the same time ALL other Provincial unions agreed to a wage increase taken out of their existing budgets 3 years ago. So just to catch up to the other public sector unions in the Province, teachers should be in-line to a 4% increase for catch up not including the 3 years without the increase The BC Liberals wanted a standardised settlement in the public sector where all the public sector unions get the same wage and benefit increase if at all. However the BC Liberals didn't offer to catch up they offered 0.5% next year nothing for the year just completed without a contract and another 0.5% taken out of the existing benefit package plus 5.5% over the next 5 years and a further 5 years undisclosed which is the same offer to the other unions (however they are already 4% ahead and have had that increase 3 years now) minus the 5 year extension. Teachers are asking for 9% over 3 years retro to last year and cost of living increase.

As far as your statement on Skilled Worker shortage if you have read any news at all over the last few months Hybrid you would see the Harper Conservatives ignored any statistics from StatsCan. Instead the Harper Conservatives used Kijiji and broused the want ads for their data collection to fit their agenda of offering cheap foreign labour. The data available through StatsCan did not support the Harper Conservative viewpoint that there was a significant skills shortage in Canada, therefore not supporting a foreign worker program to fill coffee mugs in Fort Mac. Maybe the Harper Conservatives should just let supply and demand play out, instead of ignoring their own data to justify a shortage that doesn't exist. As far as coffee pourers up north, nobody twisted their arms to open a coffee shop, supply and demand. Why would a Conservative like you Hybrid be all for the Government to subsidise business with cheap foreign labour?

"Don't misunderstand me Winterlog, all resource extraction should be carefully debated and studied. Oil sands, fracking and global warming are serious issues that need to have serious consideration. See a conservative listens to other points of view.." Hybrid.

Unfortunately that viewpoint is not shared by the Harper Conservatives that you support, Hybrid.

As far as changing the political landscape.....one vote at a time!

As far as Liberals being smarter....to be a Liberal means you might have to read past the headline.

I still can't figure out where Shakey and you plan to vote for? I am not a staunch BC Liberal or Federal Conservative supporter, but have conservative views. But you two have up to this point no solutions? Your one vote at a time has failed you miserably, you have two majority governments that you totally disagree with. If you can't come up with some better Liberal and NDP leaders winterlog, you might be facing another 5 years of "Conservative" federal and provincial governments. You should quit wasting your time with me, you have a lot of work to do if you want sweeping changes.

I'm impressed with your numbers regarding the civil servants contract negotiations (not really), but I haven't had a raise in 4 years either. Let's assume for a minute that the vast majority of civil servants wages are paid by resource sector employee, would it not make sense having as many working as possible? Yes, there are questionable subsidies going on, but do you really believe that corporations in the resource sector don't pay huge amounts of taxes? There is no skills and trade shortages in the resource sectors....now who is out to lunch?

I'm done here with you. Clearly we will never see eye to eye. Honestly I would like to see a more moderate government, but I don't see any viable alternatives to the Conservatives. Apparently most Canadians seem to think the same thing, but then we are not as smart as you are. So us dummies continue to control the vote, till you and your superior colleagues figure out how to change it.

Good Luck winterlog!