Fast Tracking Skilled Labour Foreign Hires.

Most Kiwis wouldn't work for Qwest anyway so I doubt Canadians would want to either!!

So then once these foreign workers are limited to what is actually needed rather than what the Qwest's and Wood Buffalo's want they will a) Have to treat people better or B) Go the way of the Dodo bird.

• Like 1

dont count on HAC to push the hiring of canadian pilots. this letter should be posted on every helicopter training companies website or doorway so when the next kid who wants to blow 100k knows where he stands. I would hope that every training operator who is member of HAC would make there opposition to this policy known to Mr Jones

Honourable Jason Kenny
Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism
325 East Block
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0A6

Honourable Minister:

The Helicopter Association of Canada’s members collectively operate over 80% of the commercial helicopters in Canada today.

The Association has been watching with interest the discussion relating to the use of temporary foreign workers in Canada, and prospective changes to the Accelerated Labour Market Opinion process under discussion and, we feel that you should be aware of the importance of temporary foreign workers to our industry segment.

The Canadian helicopter industry depends on highly skilled seasonal foreign workers to supplement the growing shortage of experienced helicopter pilots in Canada.
The global shortage of experienced helicopter flight crews has drawn many experienced Canadian pilots to international locales both in support of Canadian companies working internationally, but also to work for foreign companies. Experienced Canadian helicopter pilots and Maintenance Engineers are sought-after around the world, and during the busy summer months, many of our members have difficulty finding qualified Canadians to meet their needs. The recognition of foreign aircraft maintenance qualifications makes temporary access by foreign maintenance personnel even more complicated.

Sincerely,

Fred L. Jones BA LLB
President and CEO
Helicopter Association of Canada
“Bringing the Industry Together”
130 Albert Street, Suite 500
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4
Office: (613) 231-1110 x239
Cell: (613) 884-1422
Fax: (613) 369-5097

dont count on HAC to push the hiring of canadian pilots. this letter should be posted on every helicopter training companies website or doorway so when the next kid who wants to blow 100k knows where he stands. I would hope that every training operator who is member of HAC would make there opposition to this policy known to Mr Jones

Honourable Jason Kenny

Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism

325 East Block

House of Commons

Ottawa, ON

K1A 0A6

Honourable Minister:

The Helicopter Association of Canada’s members collectively operate over 80% of the commercial helicopters in Canada today.

The Association has been watching with interest the discussion relating to the use of temporary foreign workers in Canada, and prospective changes to the Accelerated Labour Market Opinion process under discussion and, we feel that you should be aware of the importance of temporary foreign workers to our industry segment.

The Canadian helicopter industry depends on highly skilled seasonal foreign workers to supplement the growing shortage of experienced helicopter pilots in Canada.

The global shortage of experienced helicopter flight crews has drawn many experienced Canadian pilots to international locales both in support of Canadian companies working internationally, but also to work for foreign companies. Experienced Canadian helicopter pilots and Maintenance Engineers are sought-after around the world, and during the busy summer months, many of our members have difficulty finding qualified Canadians to meet their needs. The recognition of foreign aircraft maintenance qualifications makes temporary access by foreign maintenance personnel even more complicated.

Sincerely,

Fred L. Jones BA LLB

President and CEO

Helicopter Association of Canada

“Bringing the Industry Together”

130 Albert Street, Suite 500

Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4

Office: (613) 231-1110 x239

Cell: (613) 884-1422

Fax: (613) 369-5097

To be fair, I can understand certain members of HAC who use the TFW program legitimately are concerned they may not be able to benefit from it in the future. However, from reading some of the LMO's in that compilation, the expression that comes to mind is "what goes around comes around". HAC promotes and protects the interests of these operators and I hope they are all shut out of the TFW program for acting in the way they have.

This is the same association that promotes the use of "employment contracts" by their members that are nothing short of training bonds. Good thing most reputable operators don't use them. Why does this association protect these second-rate outfits ? Oh right. Profits... And to say some people consider HAC to be an appropriate vehicle to represent helicopter pilots in Canada. What a joke !

Guest JetboxJockey

No surprise there, ethics have been thrown out the window in favour of the all mighty buck.

I'd like to see some stats on how many commercial pilots the flight schools crank out every year. But more importantly, how many of those pilots are actually flying in the industry. My guess would be 1-2 % and that is being very generous.

From where I'm sitting, HAC's sole purpose is to assist operators in maximizing profits not improving the industry.

These kind tactics are exactly what gives rise to unions. .

Guest JetboxJockey

I would also encourage pilots to write the Honorable Jason Kenny. Expressing your opposition to the HAC letter from Mr. Fred L. Jones.

Experienced Canadian helicopter pilots and Maintenance Engineers are sought-after around the world, and during the busy summer months, many of our members have difficulty finding qualified Canadians to meet their needs. [/size][/font][/color][/background]

Perhaps Fred and the HAC should point out to their members that if they hired and trained low-time Canadian pilots, they wouldn't be so short of "qualified Canadians to meet their needs". You can't expect to poach labour and have a steady supply. Create qualified pilots if you need them, it's a whole lot cheaper in the long run.

Guest plumber

I was on man up with an Aussie who has never seen a fire or longline. Sooooo I'm thinking some companies are stretching the truth with their LMOs. He is a nice guy though but still it's bad what some companies are doing.