Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Bait Pilots Ending Foreign Worker Abuse

Guest JetboxJockey

Guest JetboxJockey

Seeing as how the Government seams to be taking little or now interest in what is going on in our industry.

We as Canadian pilots can notify the Foreign Worker program (integrity@servicecanada.gc.ca) of every ad that is posted that any of us apply for. I have sent them emails for every job posting i have appied for in 2014 and will begin to work backwards.

I urge others to do the same. This is one thing that is within our control and if nothing else. It is going to force the operators who are abusing the program to think twice before submitting a bogus foreign worker application.

One way or the other we can put an end to this problem. In the mean time hopefully the media will catch wind of the situation and put further pressure on the government to end this madness.

You can also email the Labour Minister's media relations at media@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca so they cannot claim that they know nothing about the problem.

• Like 3

Can we be nicer? Let's try that. The whole point of this is to stick together and improve our industry, not ridiculing people that have a valid point. There are tons of posts on here that are not great grammar wise and I'm guilty of it too but I like the fact the new and interesting perspectives are laid to bare here.

Tropher, please don't undermine people's message with the criticism. It will make people less likely to share.

R

• Like 8

As a pilot that has worked around the world, I have met countless Canadian pilots working in the same countries as me. If you pilots in Canada wish to stop foreign workers competing for your jobs in Canada, I suggest you first recall all your fellow countrymen and women and prevent them from taking other people's jobs in foreign countries outside Canada!

Remember your words when you or your mates, aviators or not, want to spread your wings beyond your present borders. Works both ways JetboxJockey...! Tell me honestly you don't know a Canadian working overseas?

• Like 2

Hello there ,, I am not a big user of this forum, but here goes the cat,, and we will see how the pigeons make out. I am a professional pilot here in Canada, in a position to employ other pilots, and therefor see a multitude of resumes, my problem arises when I see 20 guys, and 3 of them are Canadian, the rest of the guys and girls on work visas of one shape or the other, willing to do what it takes in the industry to get ahead and generally qualified up the ying yang to do just that,,, now if this means returning to NZ, or anywhere else come to that after a few years,, so be it. A business will inherently use the road with the least path of resistance, it doesn't matter what colour, shape, size or language it is!. And the low maintenance people , will always be ahead of the game as far as employment goes, I quote a line from a resume I have here in front of me.

" I am interested in flying with your company, on a 2 on and 2 off basis, and can negotiate my travel costs for positioning",

He has 403 hrs!. I plastic coated his resume, and sent it too his flight school, his instructor laughed, and is used in training for others. oh and it started,, to whom it may concern, !!!!!.

My experience tells me that the majority of these pilots actually want to stay here in Canada,, for an extended time, and have the work ethic to do excellent, where as it seems that the average Canadian pilot does behave a little different outlook on things at times, now I am all for a decent wage for a professional service, but have to ask myself, why is this the case?. I consider myself Canadian, and actually would much prefer to hire Canadian personnel,( as its the "right" thing to do, right?) so feel for you and your opinions jetboxjockey , I hold dual citizenship by the way and no, not originally from Canada.

Immigration,, does not water down Canada,, it strengthens it from within, with the right people being accepted to work, study, and reside here, this I am sure most people will agree with, the issue comes when the "wrong" people are permitted access to a wonderful country like Canada.

Further to this,, I do believe there are quite a few Canadians in the sand pit, as well as sitting in the front of a 139 going forward and backward from many oilrigs all over the planet,,, why?, because we are good at it.

ok,, now press "enter" and wait.

ps,

• Like 1

okay out of curiosity CBRN what are you looking for and what is low maintenance. Are you saying if the resume had 10000hrs instead of 403 you would look at it differently? Are you laughing at the 2/2 because he has low hours? Or would a 10000hr guy be laughed at as well.

The point I believe is actually what you mentioned. "willing to do whatever it takes" It is this mentality that companies are exploiting and you confirmed it in your statement.

Look at some of the application reasoning from these companies, crazy to think they get approved. The program was not put in place so companies could increase their bottom dollar.

As for working overseas I actually do but you know what, I do not go and work the entire season straight and I sure in the **** do not do it for half the wages. So you cannot compare Canadians working overseas to what the companies here in Canada are doing with the foreign workers program.

• Like 1

Guest driver81

As a pilot that has worked around the world, I have met countless Canadian pilots working in the same countries as me. If you pilots in Canada wish to stop foreign workers competing for your jobs in Canada, I suggest you first recall all your fellow countrymen and women and prevent them from taking other people's jobs in foreign countries outside Canada!

Remember your words when you or your mates, aviators or not, want to spread your wings beyond your present borders. Works both ways JetboxJockey...! Tell me honestly you don't know a Canadian working overseas?

Ak355, I know lost of Canadians working overseas. They are all professionals getting paid a lot more then the Canadian VFR world.. But I don't really care what countries Canadians are working in. I live in Canada, I have a family in Canada, and I plan on staying in Canada. I do care when companies use foreign labour to cut Canadian wages and rotations. I'm also not against foreign pilots Immigrating to Canada and making it there home. I'm against foreign pilots whoring themselves out to gain turbine time and endorsement for a fraction of the going rate.

I quote a line from a resume I have here in front of me.

" I am interested in flying with your company, on a 2 on and 2 off basis, and can negotiate my travel costs for positioning",

He has 403 hrs!. I plastic coated his resume, and sent it too his flight school, his instructor laughed, and is used in training for others. oh and it started,, to whom it may concern, !!!!!.

CBRN,

I wouldn't laugh to hard, because there are actually some lower time pilots in this industry with 2 on 2 off rotations with under 1000hrs.

Topher,

How"s my spelling and Grammer?

• Like 2

Hello there ,, I am not a big user of this forum, but here goes the cat,, and we will see how the pigeons make out. I am a professional pilot here in Canada, in a position to employ other pilots, and therefor see a multitude of resumes, my problem arises when I see 20 guys, and 3 of them are Canadian, the rest of the guys and girls on work visas of one shape or the other, willing to do what it takes in the industry to get ahead and generally qualified up the ying yang to do just that,,,

I consider myself Canadian, and actually would much prefer to hire Canadian personnel,( as its the "right" thing to do, right?) so feel for you and your opinions jetboxjockey , I hold dual citizenship by the way and no, not originally from Canada.

Immigration,, does not water down Canada,, it strengthens it from within, with the right people being accepted to work, study, and reside here, this I am sure most people will agree with, the issue comes when the "wrong" people are permitted access to a wonderful country like Canada.

Further to this,, I do believe there are quite a few Canadians in the sand pit, as well as sitting in the front of a 139 going forward and backward from many oilrigs all over the planet,,, why?, because we are good at it.

ok,, now press "enter" and wait.

ps,

As a low-time pilot, I'll tell you what I'm hearing these days - we'd like to bring up Canadian guys but there's too much of an experience gap because of hour minimums.

While I don't dispute that there's a gap in hours which is currently being filled by foreign pilots, I WILL dispute that it's gotta happen. We need a mechanism in place to get the Canadian pilots in place and competitive for these 500-1000 hour jobs. Companies who are willing and interested in getting low-timers going are finding it harder and harder (and a lot more expensive) to do so.

Start writing letters as has been said before, talk to your customers, explain to them what 1000 hour pipelne minimums will do to their bottom line and to Canadian jobs. I'm already a giant thorn in the side of my local MP and I'm going to keep doing so (even after I finally get myself to a point where I can fly with my license).

I may go bankrupt on roadtrips, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let this license go to waste.

• Like 1