Canadian Bait Pilots Ending Foreign Worker Abuse

Guest JetboxJockey

Scarcity of manpower, and manned equipment will result in wages and machine rates improving, operators finding solutions to train and help the younger generation along when they can. It would also be helpful if there were tax break for companies so that training and promoting hr building would increase. Operators in tourist based markets have zero reason to require foreign workers. Similarly provincial authorities must also partner with operators to help with the endemic problem of lack of experience and assist to enable the industry. Insurance companies are still a big part of the problem and more what insurance companies impart to end users who must then tender contracts based on minimums.

As long as there is one pilot with 250- 10,000 hrs who is Canadian and unemployed with a valid license,( and seeking employment) not one TWP should be issued.

Perhaps we need a mechanism ( website) so that pilots can join and list credentials and availability,location etc. then the government has a resource to assess the availability of Canadian workers before issuing work permits? If someone wants to create such a website i would gladly put my name up, as i am sure others would as well.

P5

I think something along those lines must be created.

What the good people at ESDC often do not really grasp is the upward movement of pilots from one job to another as they gain experience.

For example there are some jobs held by a TFW which may require a certain level of experience that an un-employed Canadian 300 hour pilot may not have, but which another more experienced but already employed Canadian pilot may have. This more experienced Canadian pilot being employed, does not appear on any list of un-employed Canadians but if the job held by the TFW was available, he/she would likely have moved on to that job, liberating his present job for the less un-employed pilot.

The presence in Canada of such large numbers of TFW inhibits the natural upward movement of Canadian pilots from jobs requiring less experience to jobs requiring more experience.

This is why, Canadian pilots who presently hold a job but who think that some of the jobs which are given out to TFW would represent an upward movement in their pilot careers should list themselves in the pilot availability database.

The employers do not like it when a pilot that has gained experience within their company quits and moves on to a higher paying jobs requiring more experience, for they then have to invest into training a new, less experienced pilot, but this is how this industry works. If Canadian helicopter operators stop investing in training Canadian pilots and hand over all the jobs to TFW pilots, it will kill the the helicopter profession in Canada.

This is the same thing going on in the airline industry. We must stop this practice by making those who have the power to stop it understand the harm they are doing to the profession while trying to ease the problems of the employers.

The reality is that Canadian helicopter jobs should be reserved for Canadian helicopter pilots, except in few and exceptional instances. Anything that has been going on for years and which involves the same foreign pilots coming back here year after year to take jobs in Canada is not a rare exception.

If we can give helicopter jobs to TFW workers from Down Under, what will prevent us from staffing our hospitals with cheap TFW doctors from Cuba ?

I have not yet looked at what you did Phil, but one must keep in mind that if a helicopter pilot is currently employed in a job but is interested in moving up to one which is now beeing offered to TFW he must be able to list himself in a manner where his current employer would not see it. Either the profile has to be anonymous or if not anonymous, access to the database should only be accessible to the people at ESDC who are tasked with evaluating the LMO applications for TFW helicopter pilots.

This is something we could propose as a possible tool to Alexis Conrad, the head of the Temporary Foreign Workers program at ESDC. Ideas or comments anyone ?

If the mods will indulge me, I have created a section called Canadian Pilot Availability under Helicopters on my forum site, www.aviafora.com.

Phil

I have not yet looked at what you did Phil, but one must keep in mind that if a helicopter pilot is currently employed in a job but is interested in moving up to one which is now beeing offered to TFW he must be able to list himself in a manner where his current employer would not see it. Either the profile has to anonymous or if not anonymous, access to the database should only be accessible to the people at ESDC who are tasked with evaluating the LMO applications for TFW helicopter pilots.

This is something we could propose as a possible tool to Alexis Conrad, the head of the Temporary Foreign Workers program at ESDC. Ideas or comments anyone ?

Ok... here is an indexed copy of the 2013 LMO file, with several hundred pages of older applications removed. It is only current to the date of Gille's original 2013 ATIP request - once the new ATIP request is received the remainder of the 2013 LMO's will be added and 2012 removed to that document which is presently being indexed. Any Adobe Reader should be able to access the bookmarks, by clicking on the blue ribbon. Helicopter operators are bold/red. Many LMO applications are for more than one pilot. Check it out, and be prepared to be astounded by some of the applications!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... 2May14.pdf

Cheers,

tin lizzie

Man lots of this is hard to stomach.

Just an example

Niagara Helicopters, training pilot position

Have you attempted to hire a Canadian citizen for this position?

- no

Reason

-The expertise

(nobody with the required experience will work for a low time pilot wage)