Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Bait Pilots Ending Foreign Worker Abuse

Guest JetboxJockey

There is no need to limit our actions on this matter to merely contacting the appropriate government agency in

charge of regulating the practice of allowing foreign pilots to take positions that we are fully qualified for. My next

step will be a nicely worded email stating something like "Please remove my application for the position of

helicopter pilot from your list of qualified applicants; including both for present or future consideration. It has come

to my attention that the position has been filled by a foreign pilot under an LMO, and in contravention of the intent

of the temporary foreign worker program. I regard myself as a person of principal, and refuse to be a member of

such an organization. Respectfully yours, Baja Guy."

Burning bridges? Ya, probably. Going to do any good? Probably not. I have my retirement job and those companies

who are at the crux of the matter can stick it.

• Like 2

Back in the early 70's when we had a shortage of crews here in Canada, our company as well as a lot of other companies across the country had to bring in a number of foreign pilots. These were, for the most part citizens of the USA just recently returned from a tour in Vietnam. Eventually most of these guys went back home to the States, but some stayed and added their expertise to our business.... At the same time, we hired 100 hour pilots and after paying "their dues" working in the hangar all winter doing the sh 1t jobs, they graduated to ferrying ships around to build time; eventually a lot of them turned into line pilots and many are still in the industry.

The real question tho is why did we bring these fellows to Canada to fly our helicopters? It was because at the time, there was an honest shortage of helicopter pilots in Canada. I don't see the same thing today, there is no shortage of crews that I can see. I believe it is more that the companies are unwilling to give the low time guys a chance. Sure there are jobs that require specific pilot hours, but by means, not all contracts do!

I guess my point is, if there are NO available Canadian pilots, then we have to hire from outside the country. But if we are hiring simply to pay them less so we can bid lower on jobs, then like a lot of others I'm afraid I don't agree with hiring from outside the country...

• Like 1

Back in the early 70's when we had a shortage of crews here in Canada, our company as well as a lot of other companies across the country had to bring in a number of foreign pilots. These were, for the most part citizens of the USA just recently returned from a tour in Vietnam. Eventually most of these guys went back home to the States, but some stayed and added their expertise to our business.... At the same time, we hired 100 hour pilots and after paying "their dues" working in the hangar all winter doing the sh 1t jobs, they graduated to ferrying ships around to build time; eventually a lot of them turned into line pilots and many are still in the industry.

The real question tho is why did we bring these fellows to Canada to fly our helicopters? It was because at the time, there was an honest shortage of helicopter pilots in Canada. I don't see the same thing today, there is no shortage of crews that I can see. I believe it is more that the companies are unwilling to give the low time guys a chance. Sure there are jobs that require specific pilot hours, but by means, not all contracts do!

I guess my point is, if there are NO available Canadian pilots, then we have to hire from outside the country. But if we are hiring simply to pay them less so we can bid lower on jobs, then like a lot of others I'm afraid I don't agree with hiring from outside the country...

When you read through the LMOs in the compilation, it's funny to see in some cases "no pilots available with suitable rating on type". Companies are bringing in foreign labour to avoid endorsing pilots on type. It's not just a case of not giving low-timers a chance to get a leg up. It's a way to cut on training costs...

The cost of an endorsement is the price of doing business. How many of you have flown across the country for no reason? I can assure you, it requires a whole bunch less non revenue time for an endorsement than it does to fly across the country non revenue. And forget those owner/operators that we all know, and what they put for time in a journey log book.