2 Hours Averaged ?

The word is that the new pay standard for pipeline work in BC is 2 hours averaged on an irregular roster. Anyone care to comment?

The whole thread reads like a grade one novel, starting with the opening comment....

Perhaps the author could tell us if the company or pilot is getting mins, and what he thinks of the whole situation. The whole thread is ambiguous. Then we all wonder why we're not treated as professionals...

• Like 1

The whole thread reads like a grade one novel, starting with the opening comment....

Perhaps the author could tell us if the company or pilot is getting mins, and what he thinks of the whole situation. The whole thread is ambiguous. Then we all wonder why we're not treated as professionals...

Well,let me make this a little less ambiguous. Is the 2 hours averaged mins the norm for all companies on the BC proposed pipe lines jobs or is this an anomaly? Is that clear enough? Hybrid,if you don't like a question or if you think this kind of civil conversation might be bothering higher management types, that may have to ultimately explain to their staff why 2 hours its better than the company's next door 3 or even 4 hrs mins,stay away from it. Lack of questioning bad salesmanship and just taking it up the behind because its an established tradition is why we are not treated as professionals.We are all aware that it is hard to keep people busy in this industry but that does not justify impacting pilot's and engineer's pay because of bad decisions at the top. Grade one novel,you say? Are you in the position of getting that pay in the middle of summer ? I am not, nevertheless this trend concerns and bothers me.

Most companies and I mean most industries frown on discussing pay rates. In most cases it is cause for dismissal. It causes bad blood and it's unprofessional.

Most who follow my posts know that I'm passionate about aviation and I welcome any who share it to come on in and join us. It's hard but SO worth it. But it doesn't pay s$&t at first and in sone cases even further down the line you hit rough patches.

I have had my license for 15 years. I have puked my guts out in a 214. Driven a cross the country 3 times to chase work. I lived in more than one place with the word Fort in the title. I've been drenched in jet fuel, spray chemicals, hydraulic fluid and other fluids that I've spent many years trying to forget. I don't have a huge amount of time in my book but I don't really have a difficult time finding work when I need to look and Maury - I flew 74 hours from April to September last year and 25% of that time was nonrev chasing fires that never came. And I LOVE my job.

If you don't like it then leave and we will fill your seat. Jim doesn't need to tell you how much he makes and neither do I. If you are not happy you can move to Mac and drive a 797 and make 100 grand. Non of us are here for the money.

I'm all for changes for the better but sometimes you have to buckle down and whether the storm. This is one of those times. We will have a amazing fire year soon. Mining and exploration will get better. But this is the job.

Be safe out there guys and have fun doing it!!

R

• Like 2

Secrecy with regards to wages is considered very old school. Studies have shown that it only breeds discontent and in most cases people who do not know what their co-workers make over estimate the disparity.

Progressive employers have an open book, they say so and so makes this much because he brings these skills to the table and you can either like it, make your own case about why you should be paid more of look somewhere else. Why do you think there are so many who change jobs so frequently?

Secrecy in how much each of us makes is a psychological game to intimidate us and make us feel worthless, it's all part of the solo negotiating tactic. Have you been there? "It was slow last year, there was a lot of maintenance from you guys being rough on machines, etc." Justification for the pittance we are paid. I get laughed at when i tell someone who is not in helicopters how "much" i make.

Unions are bad... I am going to ask again if anyone took the time to watch the movie "Inequality For All" ? I knew things were off kilter but not to the extent that is reviled, educate yourselves.

Happy weekend and fly safe everyone,

W.

If you don’t like the pay then don’t except it, but the “I love aviation and will do what it takes” it not the way to make this industry better. Have you looked around to compare industries taking in consideration wages vs. risk? I use to run heavy equipment and I was making 6-750 a day when working away from home. My one buddy who is a welder is making over 200k a year. Now look at the risk of those jobs. Not much to worry about compared to flying. How about engineers I have heard their wages are comparable to a small engines mechanic. I highly doubt a guy fixing weed whackers goes home and worries about if he finished the job correctly because people could die and he could end up in front of a judge…

Also being an engineer isn’t even recognized in the trades industry is they decided to become a mechanic on something else they would have to take the schooling right from square one again.

2hr average mins is ridiculous if you have to sit out there all day. 100k a year isn’t huge money anymore, to me anyone over a couple thousand hours should be making more then that. Flying for 60-80k a year is something I just couldn’t do. I will gladly hop back in an excavator before going back to those wages.

post-3462-0-09733200-1400943017_thumb.jpg

Most companies and I mean most industries frown on discussing pay rates. In most cases it is cause for dismissal. It causes bad blood and it's unprofessional.

Most who follow my posts know that I'm passionate about aviation and I welcome any who share it to come on in and join us. It's hard but SO worth it. But it doesn't pay s$&t at first and in sone cases even further down the line you hit rough patches.

I have had my license for 15 years. I have puked my guts out in a 214. Driven a cross the country 3 times to chase work. I lived in more than one place with the word Fort in the title. I've been drenched in jet fuel, spray chemicals, hydraulic fluid and other fluids that I've spent many years trying to forget. I don't have a huge amount of time in my book but I don't really have a difficult time finding work when I need to look and Maury - I flew 74 hours from April to September last year and 25% of that time was nonrev chasing fires that never came. And I LOVE my job.

If you don't like it then leave and we will fill your seat. Jim doesn't need to tell you how much he makes and neither do I. If you are not happy you can move to Mac and drive a 797 and make 100 grand. Non of us are here for the money.

I'm all for changes for the better but sometimes you have to buckle down and whether the storm. This is one of those times. We will have a amazing fire year soon. Mining and exploration will get better. But this is the job.

Be safe out there guys and have fun doing it!!

R

On my free time I do a fair amount of carpentry. I love the work but unless I build something for my family,I 'll charge the going rates. Why would I work for free or for low rates just because I love it? You are taking away from your family because you love aviation? Isn't that selfish? I couldn't do that . Yes,I love flying but am not gonna bend over for a flying job or take away from my kids for my own enjoyment. People like you make it harder and harder for the rest of us to make a living and provide for our loved ones. As for discussing the pay rates...why would that be grounds for firing? That's just medieval thinking.And I think any court would take my lawsuit and give it the upper hand. When you say that "if you don't like it, live it and will fill your seat",well..I think you may just get pushed aside by your fellow pilots and engineers first, for f@cking with their livelihood.

• Like 1

How am I messing with other people's livelihood again????

If you are willing to take someone's seat for less than what he needs to get paid to provide for himself and his family,or the common fair wages for that level of skill and experience,you are messing with his/her livelihood. If we are willing to do that and than be drenched in all kinds of fluids and puke your guts off for less than fair wages,you might be messing with more than aviation wages.