Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

2 Hours Averaged ?

Point taken. I tried sarcasm and failed. Obviously there are lots of talented guys in the industry and on this forums.

Actually I really don't know how many talented guys are o this forum .... this forum does not lend itself to qualifying anything!!

However - you are right! There are a shiteload of qualified people .... maybe they don't want to engage in petty crap as we have ...... but I do know there are REAL people who read this forun.

Come out ... come out ... wherever you are ....!!!

• Like 1

Okay, so I don't know how to cut and paste.

Reading your comments above Jim. you obviously think that those of us on this forum are a bunch of talentless pilots, except of course for you.

And I am pretty sure that it is only a handful of pilots that are engaging in petty crap, while the rest of us, are trying to have an intelligent conversation.

I am still looking for an answer to my question, and I am totally serious because I honestly cannot understand what it is that you find so offensive about an association as I described it. I am just trying to understand. Again, I don't need any rants or anecdotes, just a simple answer.

I am still looking for an answer to my question, and I am totally serious because I honestly cannot understand what it is that you find so offensive about an association as I described it. I am just trying to understand. Again, I don't need any rants or anecdotes, just a simple answer.

I recall you asked this question ..... " Anyone making much money this year?"

You did get a simple answer.

Then you asked ........ "what is wrong with the helicopter pilots of Canada joining an association like the ones mentioned above?"

My answer would be ..... nothing is wrong. Go ahead and join!

Simple.

"They are private and government operators and TC/CCG require an IFR. Not exactly viable options for the average pilot."

Why not? It doesn't take much to get the Group 4 stamp in your license.

They have hired pilots with 3500-4000 hours. I would call that average.

Have you actually looked at a TC/CCG job posting?

If you did, you will see that they both require an ATPL, IFR and the CCG also requires 500 hours of 212 experience. I know a few guys hired into the CG and they all have well over 5000 hours, and that might get you in Prince Rupert.

Don't know what Hydro One requires? Out of curiosity, how many pilots do they employ?

I don't need an association to hold my hand ..... I've done quite well without one.

I had a job many, many years ago that started out as a non-union position. At that time I could do pretty much as I pleased - change shifts and schedules with other employees and bring side projects to work. The only stipulation was the job work had to be done and done correctly. It didn't matter how we did it .... we just made sure all was covered. However we also knew we could be fired at a moments notice if we didn't meet that obligation.

Then the position became unionized. After that it was punch in on time ... can't switch shifts and have to wear proper clothing and can't go out the gate for one second while on shift and so on. Verbal warnings and written notices out the ying yang for every petty little detail ... but they COULD NOT fire us. One guy even came to work half pissed and just got written up! Ruined the whole feel and I left within six months.

(it wasn't a flying job)

If that's what you want ... go organize and go follow all the rules and have a great organized career.

Me? I just want to fly and get the job done ... it's worked really well for 30 years and I see no reason to change now. Anything goes wrong I have no one but myself to blame.

By the way ..... I've spent many a day sitting in bum fu@k nowhere for 1.5 hours swatting mosquitos or whatever. So what? That's the job!

I've also flown four 10's in a row and many 8's after that! Did I offer to give some money back to the company because I thought they paid me too much? Not on your life!

If all you want to focus on is your bad days and never acknowledge the good days then you should organize! But be prepared to give something back for the good days because the companies ain't gonna give you something for nothing!

I can't get any simpler than that ....

I don't need an association to hold my hand ..... I've done quite well without one.

I had a job many, many years ago that started out as a non-union position. At that time I could do pretty much as I pleased - change shifts and schedules with other employees and bring side projects to work. The only stipulation was the job work had to be done and done correctly. It didn't matter how we did it .... we just made sure all was covered. However we also knew we could be fired at a moments notice if we didn't meet that obligation.

Then the position became unionized. After that it was punch in on time ... can't switch shifts and have to wear proper clothing and can't go out the gate for one second while on shift and so on. Verbal warnings and written notices out the ying yang for every petty little detail ... but they COULD NOT fire us. One guy even came to work half pissed and just got written up! Ruined the whole feel and I left within six months.

(it wasn't a flying job)

If that's what you want ... go organize and go follow all the rules and have a great organized career.

Me? I just want to fly and get the job done ... it's worked really well for 30 years and I see no reason to change now. Anything goes wrong I have no one but myself to blame.

By the way ..... I've spent many a day sitting in bum fu@k nowhere for 1.5 hours swatting mosquitos or whatever. So what? That's the job!

I've also flown four 10's in a row and many 8's after that! Did I offer to give some money back to the company because I thought they paid me too much? Not on your life!

If all you want to focus on is your bad days and never acknowledge the good days then you should organize! But be prepared to give something back for the good days because the companies ain't gonna give you something for nothing!

I can't get any simpler than that ....

I re-read Maury's post, I think you misunderstood the question helicopterjim, he was referring to an association....