Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

2 Hours Averaged ?

Freewheel,

The comment came about after helicopter Jim's comment:

"Where do I start?

Yes I am a bully ..... and not just because of the brass pole! I breate people a lot ...... but only because they deserve it. I can name hundreds of situations where I have breated people for the dumb #### they do ..... but maybe they'll learn something and not kill themselves when they go off by themselves. Maybe I should be nice and give them a trophy for being stupid but that's not what I learned in life!"

From Forbes:

According to a 2010 survey conducted by the Workplace Bullying Institute, 35% of the American workforce (or 53.5 million people) has directly experienced bullying–or “repeated mistreatment by one or more employees that takes the form of verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, humiliation or sabotage of work performance”–while an additional 15% said they have witnessed bullying at work. Approximately 72% of those bullies are bosses.

“Bullying in the workplace is similar to the school playground in that people are being demeaned or exploited,” says Lynn Taylor, a national workplace expert and author of Tame Your Terrible Office Tyrant; How to Manage Childish Boss Behavior and Thrive in Your Job. “But in the office, bullying is far more subversive and challenging to overcome, as these grown bullies are adept at finding non-assertive victims and staying under the radar.”

It's a very real thing and "experts" in this field say that those who say there is no bullying in the workplace or tell people to toughen up are usually the ones doing the bullying.

A quite a few years ago i experienced blatant sabotage in the form of withholding critical information, hiding ops gear, being given false information about fuel, being left out of meetings etc. but then i got head hunted and landed a very nice gig and never looked back. Yes i know all the games and i can see the players coming a nautical mile away.

W.

Freewheel,

The comment came about after helicopter Jim's comment:

"Where do I start?

Yes I am a bully ..... and not just because of the brass pole! I breate people a lot ...... but only because they deserve it. I can name hundreds of situations where I have breated people for the dumb #### they do ..... but maybe they'll learn something and not kill themselves when they go off by themselves. Maybe I should be nice and give them a trophy for being stupid but that's not what I learned in life!"

From Forbes:

According to a 2010 survey conducted by the Workplace Bullying Institute, 35% of the American workforce (or 53.5 million people) has directly experienced bullying–or “repeated mistreatment by one or more employees that takes the form of verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, humiliation or sabotage of work performance”–while an additional 15% said they have witnessed bullying at work. Approximately 72% of those bullies are bosses.

“Bullying in the workplace is similar to the school playground in that people are being demeaned or exploited,” says Lynn Taylor, a national workplace expert and author of Tame Your Terrible Office Tyrant; How to Manage Childish Boss Behavior and Thrive in Your Job. “But in the office, bullying is far more subversive and challenging to overcome, as these grown bullies are adept at finding non-assertive victims and staying under the radar.”

It's a very real thing and "experts" in this field say that those who say there is no bullying in the workplace or tell people to toughen up are usually the ones doing the bullying.

A quite a few years ago i experienced blatant sabotage in the form of withholding critical information, hiding ops gear, being given false information about fuel, being left out of meetings etc. but then i got head hunted and landed a very nice gig and never looked back. Yes i know all the games and i can see the players coming a nautical mile away.

W.

This is not a workplace. It is a place where people come to have open and clear discussion. Most who participate choose to remain anonymous (just as Maury has done). How can I possibly bully him, I have no idea who he is. That's the point...to promote open discussion and healthy debate. I find it interesting how as soon as I join the debate, you insinuate that I am a bully. Wouldn't that be a form of bullying?...your not making me feel to welcome to join in.

I agree that bullying is a serious issue in society (and the workplace); however, I don't need a study or you to tell me when I see the same people crying bullying all the time. I will counter your study with the boy who cried wolf story.

In the carry-on baggage forum, tell me where the bullying was. If you ask me Fred Lewis was the one who first became Rude and Obnoxious (on page 8) and some of his comments are very similar to those posted here.

http://forums.verticalmag.com/index.php?showtopic=21819&page=11

• Like 1

I went back and read what Fred wrote and I didn't see anything written on page 8 or any other page that was even remotely bullying. In fact, maybe we should be using harassment instead - bullying sounds a little high schoolish.

I really do not want to get into whole carry-on baggage thing, but reading a number of posts there, it was always "we have always done it this way. How else are we supposed to do it? And on and on and on.

I got news for you guys, The CAR's are law, whether you agree, whether some of the rules are stupid, whether some of the rules are fixed wing based, DOES NOT MATTER IN A COURT OF LAW. When you are getting your *** sued because of a minute lack of attention, or whatever, you will not be able to say, "Oh it is a stupid law based on airplanes" or "well this is what we all do". That is all hearsay. The lawyer or judge won't know anything about helicopters or aviation, but they do know about the law. We have all read the accident reports where the most trivial discrepancy that had absolutely nothing to do with the pilot flying into a mountain, are all brought out.

And as I am writing this, it points to another reason for an association. Why are the pilots worrying about what the customer carries on board, apart from the obvious? Let the forestry go to the government and say that they are unable to do their work because all the pilots stuck together and decided NOT TO BREAK THE LAW COLLECTIVELY. Even better, how about this. Ask your forestry guy with the ping pong machine or whatever, to sign something saying that he realizes he is breaking the law, and will not have any claim against the pilot and company or something like that - it doesn't matter, it would never hold up in a court of law but it may make someone pay attention. Or, ask your guy if he regularly breaks the law, while working for forestry, and if he says no, then ask him why he is asking you to do so. If the forestry guy then goes to the next helicopter down the line, and jumps in and flies away, go immediately to whoever is the safety officer of the project and demand an explanation, when it was pointed out to be illegal, why it is okay for the forestry to break the law.

Again with Fred????? What did he do to you people? Think about this, all you people out there that have read the things said about Fred. To the best of my knowledge, Fred is retired after 40 or so years in the business. He will not gain anything by doing what he is doing. Not one thing. He is doing it because after 40 years of the same thing, he cares enough about the industry he was part of, to try and make it better and bring it into the 21st century rather than staying in the 80's. Do you think he likes being berated time and again? He gets nothing out of his comments and efforts except abuse. I admire him for sticking it out.

A few posts ago, I asked the low time pilots to wade into this conversation and say what their concerns were for their futures. It doesn't matter to me, any decisions made won't affect me as I am not all that far from contemplating retirement. You don't have to be afraid of what people will write about you, as I think that you can see in the posts that there are enough people on both sides of this conversation that no one is going to let anyone beat up on you. I was even put me in the penalty box so that you could have your say without the intimidation factor. There is a staggering number of pilots registered with Vertical and I have to believe that at least 50% of those are low time pilots. Speak up people, now is your chance. I am not talking about Fred's union, I am talking about a helicopter pilot association. Yes, no or maybe doesn't matter - it is just a conversation that is going to affect you a **** of a lot more than it is going to affect me or an awful lot of the naysayers on this post. Many of those naysayers are close to retirement also.

Guest driver81

"Land Where?

I'm all in for a Pilot's Association!!!! It's time!!!…No Union!!!!"

Land Where?,

I Agree. Both Pilots and Engineers should have an association that can help look out for our best interests. I don't think we need to go as far as a union. We could defiantly use an organization similar to HAC ( but not HAC). HAC is an association for the operators. If you look at the opening page. they even state that the template Employment Contracts were designed by operators, and I'm sure its not the good Operators. Probably the same Operators that put them up to writing that letter to Kenney about how this industry requires more foreign workers. I believe they even had lawyers helping the operators that were in labour disputes with Employees.

I Think we could definitely use an association to look out for engineers and pilots. Sign Me Up!!

Rotor

Someone has got to tell me how to cut and paste.

You stated earlier in this thread that you have been in the business 15 years and now have a few hours. You then went on in a later post asking why it was bad that you resented having to kiss a low time pilots ***. Now you are talking about low time pilots again and accusing them of claiming to be high time.

Obviously, you must have quite a few hours from those last 15 years in the business.

So maybe now is the time Rotor, for you to enlighten us on just how many hours you have.

Maury,

Highlight what you want to copy "press CTRL and the letter C" then go to where you want to put it and "press CTRL and the letter V.

Highlight what you want to copy "press CTRL and the letter C" then go to where you want to put it and "press CTRL and the letter V.

The second sentence was copied and pasted.

No charge, DON