Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Union Drive

I could care less what people think about my opinions....because it's exactly that, my opinion. After this many years in this industry that I happen to really enjoy and will continue to be active in, I get sick of the bleating about how bad it is. Funny, I don't seem to remember much hardship during my 38 + years.

• Like 1

Pretty sad when an employer expects an employee to live in a pup tent for two months. I bet I could even guess who the client was.

Would be curious how many pilots think this us acceptable in this day and age?

As far as a union goes, my experiences with them are similar to helicopterjims. They mostly represent the whiners and lazy employees,

Not to mention due to the nature and diversity of the industry would be completely unworkable. I do think an association to represent aircrews would be an asset to both aircrew and most operators.

Theres enough morons in this industry now god knows we don't need a union protecting them even further, most parts of the modern SMS system do a fine job at that now. Think its slow in the industry now try getting a junior mining company to gather up enough money to do a fly job when pilots have to get payed 200,000 a year when they probably only fly 200 hours a year, only work a 1-2 week rotation, have to stay in 5 star accommodations and the list goes on. The biggest problem with unions is theres no end to it, As long as it is there they keep pushing and pushing till the cost of operating is so high the operator cant afford to operate or no one can pay the money to hire them. A good example of this is the Wabush mine closure in Labrador you can only pay the guy sweeping the floor so much. I am a firm believer of getting pay for what your capable of and good living conditions ect. And yes Ive spent my fair share for time in a pup tent some times theres just no other way. After all we fly helicopters and the whole idea of one is to get somewhere where nothing else can so usually that leads ya to a #### hole of some sort. But its also what your make of it as well. If i think I am not getting treated right or payed well enough I do something about it.

• Like 2

Pretty sad when an employer expects an employee to live in a pup tent for two months. I bet I could even guess who the client was.

Would be curious how many pilots think this us acceptable in this day and age?

As far as a union goes, my experiences with them are similar to helicopterjims. They mostly represent the whiners and lazy employees,

Not to mention due to the nature and diversity of the industry would be completely unworkable. I do think an association to represent aircrews would be an asset to both aircrew and most operators.

Hybrid,

The pup tent did suck, and you probably do know the client, there is only one like him that I know of! As for the employer, he was in the next tent over, for the full 2 months (less some mandatory days of) There were several other companies ready to jump on this contract if we decided to leave,(and no, our rates and minimums were not in the toilet) food was excellent, second pilot was happy to make $1000. plus per day on the worst fire season in B.C. history. He was welcome to leave anytime, if he wanted to, but is still with us today, flying a nice new 407.

• Like 1

Hybrid,The pup tent did suck, and you probably do know the client, there is only one like him that I know of! As for the employer, he was in the next tent over, for the full 2 months (less some mandatory days of) There were several other companies ready to jump on this contract if we decided to leave,(and no, our rates and minimums were not in the toilet) food was excellent, second pilot was happy to make $1000. plus per day on the worst fire season in B.C. history. He was welcome to leave anytime, if he wanted to, but is still with us today, flying a nice new 407.

Why couldn't they give you a proper tent?

Sticks down guys !

Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion. Fred Lewis (that's his real name by the way) has been advocating unions on these forums for a couple years now. He has, for the most part, always acted in a civilized way. I don't share his opinions and generally don't even read his posts anymore, but he is entitled to participate on these forums just like everyone else. If you disagree with him, go ahead and say so, but when you start name-calling, it just reflects badly upon you.

Did someone mention intimidation and bullying in another thread recently ?

C'mon guys ! Grow up and be civilized ! <_<

• Like 1