Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alaskan Adventure

A few of us are taking off from Calgary, making our way towards Alaska next week (B407). Our trip will either cross the Rockies via Golden or Jasper (depending on the forecast), make our way through Prince George, Burns Lake, Smithers, Bob Quinn and a short stay in Dease Lake. From there we may catch a days fishing near Atlin, then in to Skagway, juneau, Ketchikan, Prince Rupert. From there, it will depend on our timing how far down the coast we go. Just looking for any hot spots to visit along that route. I've never flown these parts before, so I'm all ears. I've researched the flight rules for the busy Alaska traffic routes. Got bear spray. I waiting for an answer from CBP on carrying a gun with us. Thanks guys.

Not sure of your experience as a pilot but make sure there is fuel all along your route and don't just use best range estimates. Don't rely on "Joe" having said there is fuel, make phone calls and record all numbers in a book that you carry with you. Might be a fishing lodge or a company or forestry cache or remote hangar, etc. Mark all fuel locations on a map and program them into your GPS.

As most realize, running out of or short of fuel in remote locations is a bit more problematic than it happening in the south where someone can just drive a drum or a few Jerry cans out to you. Does your machine have a sat phone?

Have a safe trip,

W.

Thanks Whitestone. Yes, I have a sat phone. I have also called ahead. I can think of at least one airport that listed it had fuel, but didn't when I called, and as well, some operators gave me locations of places that aren't in the CFS, but have fuel available. Thanks for the input.

Fuel in Haines Junction YT if you need it. Slightly north of Skagway but close to Haines AK. Has CBP told you where you have to cross the border? Over the Klondike Highway it seems between Atlin and Skagway?

Look at the longterm forecast. A week of clouds and rain on the coast may suck. Better off inland.

From Bob Quin to Dease Lake .... make sure you fly over the Spectrum Range and then Mt Edziza - a bit to the left of track - and then the Grand Canyon of the Stikine. You may never see anything like it ......

I could list 50 places called Zippermouth Lake where the fishing is incredible ....... you can only call yourself skunked if you don't catch one before the blades stop turning!

• Like 2

From Bob Quin to Dease Lake .... make sure you fly over the Spectrum Range and then Mt Edziza - a bit to the left of track - and then the Grand Canyon of the Stikine. You may never see anything like it ......

I could list 50 places called Zippermouth Lake where the fishing is incredible ....... you can only call yourself skunked if you don't catch one before the blades stop turning!

Duly noted. We have permission from parks to land and fish at Buckley. Had planned to tour the canyon, but also just put Mt Ediziza on the itinerary. Thanks, Matt