Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jet Fuel

I just came off a logging job and the company I flew for burnt no.1 diesel in his aircraft. The only thing was starting the dame thing. He told me that he's been burning it for a couple of year and had no problems with it.

I don't know why anyone would even think of foolin around with the type of go juice they use in their A/C. Whatever fuel types are dictated by the flight manual and maintenance manual are the only fuels you should be using, period!

Never mind C.A.R.S. or any other documentation.

How can such a basic principle even be an issue anyways?? :down:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to put a little twist to this Jet fuel/Diesel debate the previous Ops manager here was going to save the company a few dollars by dumping the waste jet fuel into the diesel Chevy company truck.

This way He planned to save money by 1 buying less fuel for the truck and 2 by spending less on the waste charges the recyclers were charging to remove the waste fuel.

However the new fuel pump for the truck took care of that.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Blackmac -------you just answered your own question.....and that's exactly what party was held responsible. Bottom line being, that if the manufacturer can produce proof of engine tests done burning whatever and state that they are safe, then the pilot is "off the hook" because to invalidate one section or statement of that engine manufacturer's eveidence, brings into question the validity of ALL of the other statements made by the manufacturer in their M & O Manuals concerning the same engine.

HV ------the algae problem is EXACTLY one of the major reasons for the development of JP-8, which counteracts it and allows for much longer storage under a wide range of conditions. Amongst other things, it also addresses the water problems resulting from storage and handling. Based on one of your statements, I have a good idea what part of the world you're in......so no "Stills" perculating under the bed.....okay? :down: :lol:

There's a "Service war" going on in the States now over this very subject. The USN will only use JP-5 at sea because they don't like the lower flash point of JP-4. Ashore though, the USN will burn JP-4. The USAF is totally JP-8 and since JP-8 and JP-5 are basically exactly the same, the powers that be have been trying to convert the USN over to it, but "man" those tars are stubborn and won't budge. It now angers the USMC because they are also based aboard ship, but have many occasions to operate out of UASF Bases. They just want everyone to get on the same page and burning the better fuel (JP-8). 'Course who listens to a Marine anyway. :lol::lol:

I have had the experience of being involved with a contaminated fuel lawsuit involving Jet A-1 and would add a few comments to the above.

Jet A-1 is a similar (identical) product to #1 Diesel and #1 Stove Oil. The quality control, filtration and handling differ however. Only fuel that is delivered and identified as Jet A-1 on your recieving paperwork, fulfills that requirement.

Only fuels conforming to ASTM D1655-04a Standard Specification for Aviation Turbine Fuels, meet the requirement.

Jet A-1 can safely be used in other (non-aviation) diesel engines with the addition of oils for lubricration (eg; DELO) and is often used as a sole source fuel in remote locations.

The anti-static additive is peculiar to Jet A-1 and if mixed in the wrong amounts, can render the fuel quantity indicating system inoperative!

The specification for any particular aircraft/engine application will be defined in one or more of the following documents;

1. Flight Manual

2. Maintenance Manual (Engine and/or airframe)

3. Engine operating manual (if applicable)

4. Type Certificate Data Sheet.

If you vary from any of the documentation that constitutes your aircraft certification, it will be at your expense, and risk.

Every helicopter and engine combination is different. Do your research and know the facts. It could bite you severely if you are uninformed.

On the topic of jet fuel

Anyone heard of F-40 jet fuel

Its approved for Allison 250's

I burned it in a C-30 and it didn't like it to much

Very had to get it to light

As far as I know it's a Canadian Goverment jet fuel :down:

I know the paperwork says it's the same as jet b but It sure dosen't burn

like jet b. It reminds of P-50 stove oil. Seen a jetranger burn stove oil for

25 hrs, black from the stacks back to the tail.

I would be careful burning this stuff in a C-30, it could get you stranded

in the middle of nowhere.

Unless you carry a sat phone or a spare battery.

I know, I got stranded on one of the Artic Islands. :down:

FUDNUF ------then it could be that you had something labelled F-40, when it should have been labelled F-44 Jet A (F-44) is 98% pure kerosene and would do exactly what you described. I know that well from burning the two different kinds in the 204 and 205. The 205 will burn it and be dirty as you stated, but the 204 has some problems with it at cold temps on occasion.