Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fixed Wing Instrument Option

Fast

Hey everyone. Looking to see how this all works.

Is it as simple as calling a fixed wing school, tellin them you want 15 hours of instrument training to go towards your group IV?

Or is it something 2 schools (helicopter and fixed wing) have set up in advance to utilize a student instead of allowing for someone to do it on their own schedule?

Thanks in advance guys

all depends on where you go. It is wise to combine it so that you can actually pull some learning out of it, like setting up and flying the approach on whatever system you are to use (GPS, ILS, VOR, NDB etc). I have had students do this and just bore holes in the skies for 15 hours.

Also, it MUST be AIR TIME, TC is very careful of this!

Cheers

H.

No. You will need a school and instructor good at teaching multi crew ifr (Canada). Be picky about who your instructor is. My personal experience with two younger fixed wing instructors was not good. Fortunately, I lined up with an older and more experienced fellow and the instruction quality was significantly better. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I talked to a fixed wing school aswell and they said it's as simple as booking a plane and instructor and they will begin teaching instrument procedures and the like, it doesn't have to be associated with a helicopter school. All that being said I imagine it would be a lot more useful to do it in conjunction with a heli school.

Talking with a friend from Borek, apparently you can build your other 20 hours of instrument time flying with a hood/foggles and someone next to you as a lookout. Other person doesnt even need to be a pilot..........?????

Gave me the CARs reference and after reading really can't find anything, other than a moral obligation to not plow a hole in the ground, that stops someone from doin this....

I did mine at Chinook using their sim and a R44 with some FW time at the school 3 hangars down. Using sim and FW definitely keeps costs down. You mostly just need to learn the procedures...Good Luck

I should clarify, aparently as per what my friend has told me, while flying (even for work) you can log "hood time" whenever your using instruments/foggles

Aparently TC doesn't say how you get your other 20 hours of instrument. Only that 15 are from an instructor in an aircraft and 5 on the type you want the instrument for. The other 20 are therefor usually done in the sim but can also be done flying either solo or with your dog as a spotter for other aircraft

I was so taken back by this I searched on avcan's forum an this is more common then I thought as a way to build instrument time........

you can't practice IFR solo, not allowed, the safety pilot must be rated and certified to fly the aircraft you are in.

Can't get beyond that.

You can get 20 hours of additional instruction from an IFR PILOT, need not be an instructor, you can most certainly not just swizzle around and have your dog as a lookout.

Cheers

H.

And this is where it gets interesting, nothing is the CARs states you need a safety pilot. You have to ensure you are not violating CAR 602.01 which while being quite vague, leaves alot of room for the book to be thrown at you should something ever happen.

I agree with you Winnie, by no means should anyone be out roaring around waiting to hit something, but this seems to be a common question and practice in the fixed wing community and the CARs doesn't/ hasn't ever been awesome about defining things.

you cannot comply with the "lookout" part of VFR if flying solo, and you can't "train" yourself, you need a competent person to train you, thus a safety pilot.

You can't just arbitrarily log "HOOD" time either, you have to file IFR to log it, or receive "instruction" from a competent person.

the CAR's are actually quite specific if you look into the 400 series for flight training.

try walking in to TC to get hours approved in your log-book for a license with no approved training organization behind the signatures... Won't work.

Cheers

H.