Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Northern Gateway

Can't we show a little respect for our first nations guys??? I know we all want the work that comes along with pipelines, but they just want to be treated with respect.

Were do you find the laughing icon. It has zero to do with respect and more to do with how much will you pay me. It doesn't matter were you go now the First Nations people are raising havoc and it really just comes down to how much do i get. I am personally sick of it.

• Like 3

Respect is not a unidirectional phenomena. We were shutdown last summer by a group of band members who disagreed with the terms negotiated and agreed upon by their band counsel. If there is a negotiated and agreed upon settlement and fringe members threaten people doing their job in a lawful manner, there need to be arrests, not delays and re-negotiations for quads and kickbacks.

I have no idea what the current status is in the newsreel, but I do know that threats and masks is not any way to seek respect or good-faith agreements. Go through the processes laid-out in the law/treaties, accept the outcome, let people do their jobs.

• Like 2

[quote name="Twin Helix"

I have no idea what the current status is in the newsreel, but I do know that threats and masks is not any way to seek respect or good-faith agreements. Go through the processes laid-out in the law/treaties, accept the outcome, let people do their jobs.

Great point Twin Helix. It seems when a negotiated settlements are reached by the companies, government and First Nations that only 2 of the 3 parties are expected to abide by the agreements. Interesting times we live in now, there are some land mark decisions being made between government and First Nations. The agreement reached by the Williams Lake band will open the door for large areas of land being controlled by First Nations, by the time the big city voters have figured out what is going on, it will be too late to turn back the clock.

Personally I have mixed feelings about the Northern Gateway. I can launch my kayak into the Pacific Ocean off my front yard, I will not be a happy camper if it is into a pool of bitumin. On the other hand; health care, infrastructure, education, jobs and all the other amenities don't grow on trees. The provincial Liberals were elected with a majority government on the platform of building that pipeline, I assume that means the majority of the BC voters were in favour of building it? Perhaps there should be a referendum in the province one last time, then the "final" decision should be made. Then "all" parties concerned should be accountable to the laws of the land, I believe it's called democracy. Might not be the best system there is, but I don't see a better alternative...

As a good buddy said to me one time after he had to do a site orientation thingy of a big project on "Native Land" that gave the history behind the deals and negotiations between the Innu and Inuit, he now calls them Companies! Its not about the land or rights all comes down to the $$$.

"The provincial Liberals were elected with a majority government on the platform of building that pipeline, I assume that means the majority of the BC voters were in favour of building it?"

Not quite true. As I recall the BC Libs were kind of vague on their stance and Christy Clark was banging on about the 5 points that needed to be met to consider approval. Still a contentious issue among BC voters I would say.

As per original post. Yikes, can of worms opened by Chilcotin land title decision. Going to cause some havoc for sure. I agree that the big city voters don't quite understand some of the ramifications of this decision.

"The provincial Liberals were elected with a majority government on the platform of building that pipeline, I assume that means the majority of the BC voters were in favour of building it?"

Not quite true. As I recall the BC Libs were kind of vague on their stance and Christy Clark was banging on about the 5 points that needed to be met to consider approval. Still a contentious issue among BC voters I would say.

The NDP were quite clear on their stance on the issue, they were bluntly shown the door by the voters. Yes, Clark had her 5 points, but she was clear that jobs created by the pipeline was her priority. Not saying that I am a staunch supporter of the pipeline, there is a lot to consider. Like I said, I believe a full provincial referendum is the route to go. The Imperial Minerals disaster is good example how things can go awry with some of these projects!

• Like 1