Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Reliance Production Optimization

I was speaking in general terms, not about your business.

The dangerous part isn't the flying you do it's your lack of knowledge and systems that is.

That's general alright. That statement points to any new hire in any job description that is inherently dangerous, not just helicopters; heli-logger, faller, roughneck, derrick hand, sour gas operator (anybody that works sour gas for that matter), big rig driver, rappel fire fighter....they were all green sometime, trust me.

As for whether the O&G industry can afford to pay for more regulation is irrelevant. The tender is usually to maintain and repair a given number of wellheads and associated pipeline and production facilities for a given price. Each lease site is costed out accordingly.

It matters not, to the O&G company how this is accomplished as long as all regulations of the governing bodies that pertain to said O&G company are followed and no liability can be assumed on their part. That's what the contractors are there for, hence the word "contract"

I would think that as long as a sufficient amount of liability was assumed by the contractor via well head insurance (and the tender would have checked this out really carefully) and no passengers were carried, (or could reasonably be carried), it would be hard to find fault.

It's a fine line.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, we could only charge the machine out at cost. Once in a while there might have been a little side trip for someone that got billed as excavator time... but I don't remember that well any more, it was a big company and I used to get a call to go somewhere and pick up someone or something... never asked anyone for ID. The nice thing was, no paperwork, just the log book.

As Skidz pointed out, there is no anual training required and it sure showed when I got back in the mainstream... Even if it's just your pick-up truck, you should be going to a school and doing your emergencies etc. for your passengers and your safety.

W.

• Like 1

I was speaking in general terms, not about your business.

The dangerous part isn't the flying you do it's your lack of knowledge and systems that is.

Are you speaking directly about HJ? He isn't the one showing a general lack of knowledge here.

You guys sure don't like it when someone smarter than you comes around. Get off your high horse and pay attention. Your pretty helicopter flying job may require you to get dirty some day. Oh ya I can bet Heli Jockey makes more money than you wanna bees so chew on that.

:)

I've flown operators around the gas fields. Trust me, the safest and easiest part of a pilot operator's job is the flying. It takes longer to train and be certified as a gas plant operator than it does to get a helicopter pilot's licence.

I agree with skidz, A to B flying is a piece of piss, operating a gas plant had a much larger learning curve, more dangers. I find it funny I have been out of aviation for a couple years now, and I almost forgot how many whiny beeches there are.