Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Important - Tc Releases Draft Of New Flight Duty Time Regulations

Freewheel

This was not a dig to any of he current Heli people at TC. You are sort of among my point. I have dealt with many excellent people over the years and there are still some left. The fact is there are less good Heli people due to cut backs and the people making the decisions really don't know (or care) about our industry. As you said, they are fixed wing people and the system is broke. I'm talking about fixing the system.

So why not create specific rules for Heli people involving industry personnel in the process? ICAO did it for flight time for helicopters; I'm assuming because they recognized That applying a one size its all approach in that case was not effective.

I think this would be a step in the right direction in fixing the system...give inspectors and stakeholders some rules that make sense and most will try to enforce and follow them as they were intended.

Inconsistent interpretations and ambiguous rules only benefit those aren't interested in compliance.

They'd have to triple that salary for me to apply. Their staffing issues aren't just from cut backs; Many good people are leaving because of the problems with their management system and those that stay have been dealing with these issues so long that they have very low moral.

It's all about the systems and the culture. We all know it and they know it. So let's start putting some actual corrective actions against the real root cause to fix it and force people to follow rules as they are written.

Not sure with this Freewheel....there are good people at TC, and it's not their fault that the government has budget cut so deep in their ranks that they are to blame. I recently spent a huge amount of time helping restore an OC for a local operator, and what I came to learn that the POI's are mostly from the fixed wing side trying to do more with less as it was suggested by being forced by their employer to the rotary wing side.....and by their admission, knowing very little. The POI actually wanted us to register a complaint with his superiors....the point is, the system is broken, not the people. It was refreshing too hear that from an inspectors side that he ( and she) wanted the input and assistance from us, to expedite the OC reinstatement as quickly and easily as possible.

The point is too try and work with them, and not against.

Cheers

So, did you register a complaint with his superiors (as the POI requested)? I assume he/she wanted you to do this in an effort to help fix the system.

When you make the extremes ilegal, the extremists are forced to the centre.

That's a nice slogan Brian but there's still a pile of room in the regulations for the bad and the ugly to find ways to gain competitive advantage. Sometimes the requirement to maintain competitiveness and pay the mortgage pulls the good pilots and operators away from centre.

I'm thinking it might be time to re-amend my COM to match many of my competitors: "Flight Time and Air Time are the same for skid equipped helicopters, accordingly the recorded times shall be the same".

In a busy season that will ensure that my staffing and crew change requirements are similar to theirs and ensure fairness. Many TC inspectors and regions are still advising that this is correct procedure/interpretations. I guess the ICAO treaty doesn't mean that much after all.

That's a nice slogan Brian but there's still a pile of room in the regulations for the bad and the ugly to find ways to gain competitive advantage. Sometimes the requirement to maintain competitiveness and pay the mortgage pulls the good pilots and operators away from centre.

It's not a slogan, it's a factual result of regulatory intervention on the competitive dynamics of FDT. What you say, while true, is simply a fact of competitive dynamics, within the present regulatory framework

What people have to chose in regard to NPA 2014-019 is, do you want to continue having the Good operators drawn toward the extremes of the Bad and the Ugly by competitive imperatives or do you want the Bad and the Ugly to be forced, by regulation, to move toward the centre, where the Good want to play.

What you're losing sight of with this good, bad, extreme, center discussion is the idea that we, as helicopter people, are going to be regulated in the same fashion as scheduled airlines. We weren't listened to simply because we didn't have an association or a union to bring our thoughts to the table.

A change is ok, but if anyone thinks this is the magical pill to level the playing field in the helicopter business, I'd like to sell them a bridge. I work a 3 and 3 in the summer and love it. All these new proposed regs will do is reduce my seasonal income. They won't make my day to day life any more comfortable or less fatiguing, because I'll still be day basing in Alberta, in the bugs an heat with no shelter, etc. etc.

Kevin McCormick

• Like 2

What you're losing sight of with this good, bad, extreme, center discussion is the idea that we, as helicopter people, are going to be regulated in the same fashion as scheduled airlines. We weren't listened to simply because we didn't have an association or a union to bring our thoughts to the table.

A change is ok, but if anyone thinks this is the magical pill to level the playing field in the helicopter business, I'd like to sell them a bridge. I work a 3 and 3 in the summer and love it. All these new proposed regs will do is reduce my seasonal income. They won't make my day to day life any more comfortable or less fatiguing, because I'll still be day basing in Alberta, in the bugs an heat with no shelter, etc. etc.

Kevin McCormick

There are many facets to the discussion of the impact of the proposed new FDT rules. Competitive dynamics aside, how, exactly do you see these ('airline') rules as being inconsistent with flying helicopters. How will your revenue be affected by a 2X2 schedule as compared to your present 3X3 schedule. And how is it not better (not best, just better), for the industry, to have everyone on a 2X2 rather than having just the lucky ones on a 3X3 sched.