Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Resurgence Of Entry Level Flying Jobs

I'd be curious to know where all those graduates from big schools or any school are, I haven't seen a 100 hour pilot in years myself. What are they doing, driving trailers delivering fuel, sweeping, washing, answering the phone, carpentry, mowing the lawn, roofing (did i miss anything)? One thing for sure, they aren't flying, at least not within my eye site! The biggest joke in this industry is the same schools that take money from Canadians and painting them such a rosy picture (it's a good time to do your license, the [insert name of certain demographic] is about to retire...) are the same ones doing all the foreign license conversions. That's the biggest joke, THE FOREIGNERS are the ones coming out of those schools who are going to get those jobs. "Found work", talk about a misleading statement. Doesn't matter how keen you are and how much initiative you show, you are not going to fly with 100 hours and it is going to take you ten years (no kidding) of ferry and maintenance flights to get to a place where someone can use you for even the most basic jobs never mind 1500 hours.

The only thing that matters is what you have written in you log book, skill seems not even to be a secondary consideration. The only guys I see coming up are Europeans via the wonderful American instructional pipeline or foreign conversions from down under. Good luck to any Canadians contemplating this line of work. If you are considering doing you license maybe do it in the States that way you might have a chance of getting a job in your own country... talk about irony!

Let's hear from some actual 100 hour pilots, what's going on out there? Never mind this 8 out of 10 bla, bla, bla. Where's my shovel? LOL

W.

• Like 1

No kidding Whitestone. I'd love to hear from the 8 out of 10 Bob is speaking of. It's funny that If you try to give some (super good) advice about a flat almost dead industry you are a whiner and should never of gotten into flying. It's a bad choice in this day an age period. 10 years ago I would have said go for it. Today I'd call advice for pro getting into helicopters embezzling from the starry eyed.

Wow....lots of sour grapes and out there.

What I witnessed may very well have been an anomaly....two classes went out the door with pretty much everyone hired in some capacity within the industry. They very well could be stocking shelves for all I know....but several I keep in touch with are doing very well with their employers.

I did not say this was a constant inflow into the industry.....and yes, it would be nice to hear more from any low timers working with some positive input rather than the above noted bleating and whining how tough it is.

• Like 1

I just got started with the industry last year, I was on the ground for the summer and was let go for the winter. I was given the opportunity to fly this summer and was able to put in almost 250 hours, I have since gone back to the ground with still the opportunity to ferry machines and go do some rev time if it comes up.

Coming out of school with 100hrs and expecting to be on the flight line is a pipe dream, you must get on with a company and do what it is they ask of you wether it be sweeping, delivering fuel etc. for some time before they will give you that chance of building time when they eventually get a position you can fill.

That being said with the amount of people the "puppy mills" put out every year there cannot be positions available for all of them, those with the determination and drive may find a slot eventually with patience and luck. But the ones with no patience and no luck may never get their chance and give up. It's a matter of chance wether you are able to make it in this business in the beginning and I think it's really just a roll of the dice.

In the end I think it boils down to perseverance and be being in the right place at the right time and there isn't much you can do other then hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Great post Elliot, thanks. Congrats on the job, and you are right about perseverance and luck in the timing.....that has always been the case. It is interesting that one thread here is talking about all the lay-offs and closings in our industry lately, and then there are posts like Helilog's. Bob, with great respect, I suspect that your information may not be current. Yes, several operators were hiring new staff in previous years, but I doubt that is happening lately, and things don't look great for next spring's hiring period either. It would be improper for any of us to recommend a young person spends a lot of money for a licence in these times without them doing a lot of research. Hopefully they don't hear that 8 out of 10 figure....it is hard to believe it is still accurate. Regards OT.

So now honesty is bleating and whining? Ok then all you young guys go get your licence all the Vietnam vet guys are retiring there is going to be plenty of jobs in the next 2 to 5 years. It's only a new trucks worth of money and 80% will get work. Mostly flying as you are cheaper than these pesky Whiney higher time guys. On a side note Good on you Elliot 86 hopefully you can get over that hours hump then you'll be off to the races.

• Like 1

ok, I have not posted in a long time, I find sailboat forums a much friendlier place to be, but i have something to say with regards to this "puppy mill" term.

I find it bizzar how some people think it is a schools's job to find a job for a student. Where or In what other industry does this happen? Why would it be any different in aviation? My younger sister was a straight A student, currently a mortgage broker. She is also a chemist. Do you guys think UVIC went and got her a job in her field after schooling? Why do you not call Universities puppy mills, how many people with degrees are doing something totally different?

I have a journeyman Heavy Equipment Operators ticket, it cost 30 grand to go to school if I remember correctly. Do you think they got me a job after? nooooo. Got my own job thanks through what somebody said...perseverance and hard work

A School is a business, not a charity! They don' t take anybody's money, the student makes a conscious decision to give it to them. A school could not get away with promises of roses and millions of dollars, it is 2014, it does not take much to research the economy and the business. If a student can't figure this out on their own before even stepping foot into a school.....well.....that is called "process of natural selection"

On the contrary, I bet most schools are up front about the industry, Mine sure was and is, but as we all know, we chase what we dream despite what might lay ahead. And that is everybody's right.

Puppy Mills......I'm a pilot, I should have special treatment and I am Entitled!

Maybe someone should look at the flip side, How many of you commercial pilots out there trained in a school and became who you are today, skilled experienced pilots.

honestly, out of my class of 12, three of us are working after almost 10 years, the others....well trust me, you wouldna wanted to work along side them anyways.....again, Process of Natural selection.

Good luck to you low timers, it is tough, but the rewards can be great.........back to sailboats.

• Like 1

I'd be curious to know where all those graduates from big schools or any school are, I haven't seen a 100 hour pilot in years myself. What are they doing, driving trailers delivering fuel, sweeping, washing, answering the phone, carpentry, mowing the lawn, roofing (did i miss anything)? One thing for sure, they aren't flying, at least not within my eye site! The biggest joke in this industry is the same schools that take money from Canadians and painting them such a rosy picture (it's a good time to do your license, the [insert name of certain demographic] is about to retire...) are the same ones doing all the foreign license conversions. That's the biggest joke, THE FOREIGNERS are the ones coming out of those schools who are going to get those jobs. "Found work", talk about a misleading statement. Doesn't matter how keen you are and how much initiative you show, you are not going to fly with 100 hours and it is going to take you ten years (no kidding) of ferry and maintenance flights to get to a place where someone can use you for even the most basic jobs never mind 1500 hours.

The only thing that matters is what you have written in you log book, skill seems not even to be a secondary consideration. The only guys I see coming up are Europeans via the wonderful American instructional pipeline or foreign conversions from down under. Good luck to any Canadians contemplating this line of work. If you are considering doing you license maybe do it in the States that way you might have a chance of getting a job in your own country... talk about irony!

Let's hear from some actual 100 hour pilots, what's going on out there? Never mind this 8 out of 10 bla, bla, bla. Where's my shovel? LOL

W.

I graduated with 10 or so guys. Two or three are waiting for the call to jump back in their fuel trucks for the winter most of us did a few road trips and went back to our old jobs.

I find it bizzar how you people think it is a schools's job to find a job for a student. Where or In what other industry does this happen?

I didn't want automatic job placement, I wanted honesty. I didn't want to be told I was one of four students because they couldn't find anyone, really didn't want to show up a week after that conversation and a down payment to see a class of 13 sitting there. I especially didn't want to hear the story of the phones ringing off the hook every day looking for young pilots (no not ground crew, pilots) but I fell for it. I should have done more research obviously, guess I deserve it for trusting in people. But hey, I paid for training and a licence and in the end that's what I got so who am I to complain.