Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Resurgence Of Entry Level Flying Jobs

Got my licence end of 2008, did two seasons of ground work for a spray company, got hired on by a company in NWT, did a year of ground work with them, got a ppc flew some maint flights some ferry flights and some heli tours, before living expenses and debt got to high ( was going -200/500 a month in the hole) before I had to call it quits. I think I made 20 bucks in revenue flights haha. Actually flew with bob a few times while training an excellent pilot and instructor.

• Like 1

Got my licence end of 2008, did two seasons of ground work for a spray company, got hired on by a company in NWT, did a year of ground work with them, got a ppc flew some maint flights some ferry flights and some heli tours, before living expenses and debt got to high ( was going -200/500 a month in the hole) before I had to call it quits. I think I made 20 bucks in revenue flights haha. Actually flew with bob a few times while training an excellent pilot and instructor.

...and this is what "8 out of 10 found work" looks like in most cases. Sorry to hear that DirtyBH47. My experience was similar, the old "work hard on the ground and you will get your chance" carrot. I had two false starts for a total of three years of no flying but I could clean ANYTHING like nobody's business, LOL. Trucks, cars, hangar (or is it hanger?) floors, snow from parking lots, even wrench on rotary and fixed wing, build fences, haul gravel, and all sorts of other $#!% not related to flying helicopters in the least way. I was the same way, running out of money but managed to get a seat and start making some flight pay so i could pay for living expenses. I wonder how many newly minted pilots find themselves in this situation and have to throw in the towel? Thanks for sharing your experience but know that sadly it is not unique. Yes you need perseverance to get going in this business but you need deep pockets too to subsidize your bottom dwelling employer who doesn't even pay you enough to make ends meet. If you are going to do your license you better have a plan for where all that extra cash is going to come from.

W.

• Like 2

It wasn't all that bad. Sure I wish I could of made a career out of a dream of mine and It was really hard to let go, but I am still youngish (25 I don't know haha) I still talk to my old chief pilot and assistant chief pilot from time to time and made a lot of other contacts while I worked up north. Just went to see the another operator the other day and might have some part time work lined up in the new year, as my new career has a good rotation. Who knows maybe I will never get flying again, just will have to wait and see haha.

Deaner

It wasn't all that bad. Sure I wish I could of made a career out of a dream of mine and It was really hard to let go, but I am still youngish (25 I don't know haha) I still talk to my old chief pilot and assistant chief pilot from time to time and made a lot of other contacts while I worked up north. Just went to see the another operator the other day and might have some part time work lined up in the new year, as my new career has a good rotation. Who knows maybe I will never get flying again, just will have to wait and see haha.

Deaner

Deaner, You *******! I knew it was you! Keep at it, brother. It will happen sooner or later.

The Honey Badger.