Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

212 Incident

Tree-Topper, a 12 should fly awy from some situations on one stove, you do need some airspeed, some altitude, and some luck... The Q allowed on One-Engine-Inoperative is...

Standard 212 OEI 71.8 % Q

212 HP OEI 79.4 % Q

...provided you have N1 and ITT to do it ! At a certain Corporation in my past, I don't ever remember seeing an engine that could actually reach " topping" :blink:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

407D, been a long time since I've flown a steam chicken, but if memory serves, you are not suppose to top a -3B are you? How would you have known if they wouldn't reach topping? Yes, very strange indeed, how would both donks roll to idle???? Of course having 2 stoves in a 212 is only as good as the c-box and single super shaft anyway ;) Those initals GC, are they the same guy of STARS fame?

Outwest,

In-flight N1 (Ng) topping check procedure for the PT6T-3B can be found in section 76-6 of the Maintenance Manual.

Basically, the rotor speed will decay under high single-engine loads, so do a topping check to ensure the engine will produce 102.4% NG before the rotor RPM droops below 97%. Then adjust the fuel control if necessary.

again, this may be completely unrelated to this incident.

Yes, topping is a whole other conversation, completely unrelated to this Incident.

NO OutWest, the guy has nothing to do with Stars, I'll PM you on that one.

The topping issues of my past were with -3's. The main reason I knew that some of the -3's wouldn't reach topping was the high time guy who delivered the Chicken, told me..."Don't bother checking, they won't make it.....!"

We do check topping on the -3B's at times, or at least I did one day with the chief J.B. With J.B. on board, he says, then I do !

407Driver ------let's see how good your memory is? Do you remember a similar type of incident eons ago with a Shirley Helicopters 212 I believe? The pilot (don't remember who) was making a pick-up with his Bambi in some lake (I was there, but **** if I can remember - AB someplace) and both "stoves" went back to idle. We're all doing the circuit thing and waiting on him as he just nicely and slowly settles into the shallow water until the water hit the inverters and then they shut down completely. Had to have been early 80's sometime....thought you might remember. I also remember two cases of 212 engines both going back to idle, when I was with Frontier.

Sorry CAP, memory is a bit weak, can't say that I recall any Shirley Mediums down.

I do remember a few things from way back then....Something about Coleman telling the Drillers at Tumbler Ridge to get stuffed, so he got released from the job and brought the 58T (OKG ? ) back to your Base. A Frontier 205 took over the job and dropped a drill....so Coleman went back to work ! The old Dog ! :D

Ahhhh yes....that's when I was with him at Del Rio Ranch. God that broke me up. He gets out in the mud with his $150 Florsheim, zip-up dress boots on and proceeds to tell all those guys about how to open and close the sliding door. He climbs back into the seat , they proceed to pull off the emergency window release cap, turned it, window falls out, Coleman goes ballistic, puts window on the inside and augers into the sky with a "F-Off to all and to all a good night". The kid's memory ain't too bad either......that's a long time ago and you got me remembering and chuckling on that one. I needed a good laugh, so thanks for that. :lol:

I was going to post this and then I remembered we're both talking about two different events I think. I remember a bit about the one your speaking about now. Anyway, thanks for the laughs. :D

Anyways.... Getting back ON TOPIC...

My friend who<s guiding at Weigele's got back to me this morning. Apparently, the '12 was coming in for a pickup when the engines spooled down about 75' from the LZ. The a/c crashed quite close to the customers waiting to embark. My friend was impressed that the pilot walked away without so much as a bruise...