Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Trade Equivalency Assessment

donnybrook

Just to clarify...the AME (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) is not a trade, nor trade designation. It is the License delegated to a qualified person by Transport Canada, granting the person the authority to certify a Maintenance Release on an aircraft after work is performed to a defined standard. It does not state anywhere that this individual is qualified to, or able to perform the actual task being certified; although in our industry there is an expectation that a "good AME" is a good Technician.

There is not, nor ever has been an "apprenticeship" to qualify as an AME, as this is not a trade. The use of the term "Apprentice AME" has been incorrectly used for many years to refer to a person who is training and working towards meeting the Transport Canada CARs requirements to be granted this delegation.

Granted, there is normally a lot of technical training, knowledge, and experience that comes with attaining the license. Some of these areas may be viewed by an apprenticeship program for a regular trade in a mechanical field as having some equivalency, but don't be surprised if you have to educate the person on the other side of the desk regarding why you would have equivalent ability and/or knowledge.

I went down this road a long time ago when trying to stay home some and going for my "Motor Mechanic" (auto-mechanic) license. After many months of working with(?) the Alberta Apprenticeship Board trying to show equivalency to many things I had learned as an AME, I was able to get permission to challenge all of the journeyman exams, however I elected to take the schooling for the last two years for my own interest and learning. I still had to complete (or demonstrate equivalence) all of the hours required regarding the experience requirements. I ended up with about half the hours being credited.

If you have any kind of a Journeyman License/Ticket for a related trade, there is often credit for equivalency given; I even think it is fairly clearly defined. There may be some forward motion in this area with regard to what the CCAA (formerly CAMC) is trying to do with their accredited programs such as AMT (Aircraft Maintenance Technician, etc.); however at this juncture in my career I don't think I'll bother with them.

After over 12 years of field maintenance repair and overhauling aircraft and engines AME is 100% a trade. It's just not a "red seal" or provincially controlled trade, it is a federal license. That's why the other trades won't credit the experience because they have no reference to cirriculum or knowledge. A red deal trade however is INDUSTRY CONTROLLED. And that is why you are allowed to challenge all but one year "1500hrs work and 8 weeks school in alberta". It is doable but not the most thorough way to get trained. You just have to convince the employer of your competence going in and they can grant you hours based on your past experience. Look into it I did it and glad I did.... Still working on aircraft too. Best of luck!

For those that havent read a dictionary...

trade

trād/

noun

a skilled job, typically one requiring manual skills and special training.

"the fundamentals of the construction trade"

synonyms: craft, occupation, job, career, profession, business, line of work, line, métier, vocation, calling, walk of life, field; work, employment, livelihood