Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Slow Times And Such

Hazy

Yup. I just did my Class 1 driver's test as a "plan B". I have a relative who works in mining exploration venture capital. The outlook on that front is pretty grim. The anti-mining, anti-pipeline anti-oilsands and anti-everything-that-uses-helicopters groups are a real PITA right now, and next year being an election year, the Conservatives will be cow-towing to those crowds to buy votes...

Unless there's a real good fire season in 2015, it's looking to be the slowest year in a loooong time for the VFR industry in Canada. If you can afford it, and your family is willing to accept you doing 6 and 6 tours, get that IFR asap. Those who do get work next year may not work long enough for EI...

• Like 2

Good on you Skidz. It's not a bad second choice and holds a huge variety of options. Local delivery, gravel and aggregate, oil field camp work (or maybe you've had enough camps), long haul, etc. I've maintained my class 1 since 1992 and used it within my rotary career in 2001, and seasonally in 2009, 2010, and 2011. I'm gonna use it again this winter on long haul but more by choice on days off thank goodness. I don't think trucking is for everyone, but I think the majority of heli pilots would transition as the industries have many similarities.

Well seeing that the Conservatives signed the FIPA deal with china I'm sure they could give a crap about whether companies hire foreign workers or not. The price of oil along with the Chinese being able to bring in their own workers to take Canadians jobs is the writing on the wall to me that no matter what we do we are screwed. Next year will be interesting to say the least. I wouldn't want to be starting out in helicopters. Heck I'm not feeling overly secure at several thousand hours.

Trucking, I have contemplated the similarities many times and the great differences. Know a few guys who have jumped ship and gone to work in the patch, good for the most part except for the night shift which studies show is quite literally killing people as we human mammals were not meant to be awake at night. The seasonal slowdowns are a drag for sure not to mention the cyclical (pardon the pun) ups and downs of the years, this makes it very stressful for the VFR pilot.

At the end of the day you have to be able to pay your bills.

W.

Anyone look at power engineering as a second trade it's heavy in demand right now in Alberta , I took a 4 month course after being a low time pilot wasn't paying the bills, with less then a year experience I am making 120k+ working 6 days on 6 days off, their are guys I work with easily making 200-250k+ a year with some experience and O/T. Best decision I ever made and It's filling the bank account nicely while I try and give flying another go.