Slow Times And Such

Hazy

I had to find a way to fund all of these road trips so I jumped into Heavy Machinery, no tickets required whatsoever other than your basic oil and gas certs that most people have anyway. Figured it'd also be a good backup in case I manage to ever find an aviation gig and things slowed down again. Not much of a learning curve after handling a helicopter the sensitivity of a machine that usually throws guys for a loop was easy to adjust to. Good pay too, some of the guys I worked with that had being doing it for only a year or two were bringing home 600-1000$ daily, 20 days a month or more and you're set.

Sooooo you guys want to leave that kind of money for the dream to go flying??? I will trade you my hours for your job! We can do that right? If I made that kind of money I would fly for fun. Don't be irresponsible to think this career is the bees knees! And the 6 and 6 thing?! Man PM me I need to get on that gig.

And my BSc is just sitting in a drawer gathering dust... Mind you it's in geology so I was spending an inordinate amount of time away from home anyway (or at least that's what it felt like at the time).

Curse all you cool pilots who flew me around each summer and lured me to the dark side!

Anyone look at power engineering as a second trade it's heavy in demand right now in Alberta , I took a 4 month course after being a low time pilot wasn't paying the bills, with less then a year experience I am making 120k+ working 6 days on 6 days off, their are guys I work with easily making 200-250k+ a year with some experience and O/T. Best decision I ever made and It's filling the bank account nicely while I try and give flying another go.

As sad as that is, most of us know that there is an overcapacity of companies and machinery in this industry.

A little scaling back may be beneficial to the industry as a whole.

Sucks for the people directly affected though.

• Like 1