Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Anr Kit

Duke222

I dont wear a helmet, but i have a senhouser headset with noise reduction and blue tooth. Its awsome, much quieter and I can blue tooth my phone, make calls, answer calls and listen to tunes while customers talk about things Im just not that interested in. If I wore a helmet I would have the electronics installed.

With foreflight on my phone, i can look up an FBO and with one push of the button call and have them ready.

PS: Ive had 2 engines go quiet on me, didnt need the sound to tell me. But the ANR in my headset doesnt completely remove the engine, just tones it down.

• Like 1

I have used the Bose in the Astar and found when the window on the left side sliding door was open, causing buffeting in the cockpit, the Bose distorted! I returned the headset to Bose for a full refund.

For the majority of my 40 years of flying, I have use custom moulded ear pieces under my helmet/headset.

My latest audiogram showed better than average hearing.

Thanks

• Like 1

There was a study conducted in the Norwegian sector of the north sea, after the introduction of the S-92 and increased hearing loss/loss of medicals among many pilots, it found that A helmet with earplugs, or CEP are far superior to the ANR systems, mostly due to the fact that the ANR systems are designed to fight the wrong amplitudes of sound. (they are designed for fixed wing type sounds, and as was described above, may not cover all aspects as with helicopters). However they DO reduce fatigue.

The order of precedence was as far as I can remember (can't find it right now)

-Headset (passive, DC type)

-Helmet

-ANR Headset

-headset with earplug

-Helmet with earplug

The helmet is always a better choice, even better again with a visor down, as it reduces noise to the skull.

But as said above, to each their own. Personally I feel naked without my lid, and I won't stop wearing one, and I use yellow NEON EAR foamies under.

Cheers

H.

I used ANR in an SPH helmet for a couple of years but found there was considerable and uncomfortable distortion when flying with doors off or windows open. Now I use CEP and custom moulded earplugs and am quite comfortable. I might have tinnitus if I knew what it was, and if I did it would "sound" just like a C20 compressor whine.

Season's best to all!

The helmet is always a better choice, even better again with a visor down, as it reduces noise to the skull.

Interestingly enough, I noticed this when I started wearing earplugs inside my helmet. Lowering my visor noticeably reduced the level of perceived noise. I also find I can do tiny changes like opening and closing my mouth or plugging my nose and they also produce noticeable changes in sound... mildly entertaining on those long flights.

Sorry, Twinstar, what was that? I couldn't hear you over the ringing in my ears that's the same as a C20 compressor whine. Not to say that I've got tinnitus. ;) Even if I did have it I wouldn't admit it. Don't really know how to pronounce it, anyways.

Happy New Year!

• 7 months later...

Long post...

This may be a little late but my experience with ANR in helmet has been successful but with cavets. I have ANR installed in my SPH5. I have had over 2,000 hours flying with ANR in R44, JetRanger and Astar. I installed the unit from Headsets Inc. and it worked great. In the 44 it was brilliant. I could fly for 8 hours a day and noticed that the fatigue was significantly reduced. When I first starting flying it in JetRanger I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Couldn't turn down the intercom low enough. I had an inline drop cord/volume control installed because my clients intercom volume was just too loud. But ANR in the JetRanger was good but not as good as the 44. Flight in the Astar was mixed. As mentioned in a prior post when my client would open the sliding window the concusion in my headset was extreme. It would feel like someone was beating on my helmet.

Switch to today. I purchased a new Gallet last year and decided that I would try CEP to reduce the noise problems in the Astar. Unfortuantely it has not been nearly as good for me as the ANR had been. Yes many different heads equals many differences. I seem to get a resonance from the CEP custom molded system. The foam CEP (?) is better but not comfortable. To be honest both CEP systems are not comfortable for me. Also with the CEP there is another cable attached to the headset that is a bit of a bear when doing a quick in and out for slinging or client conversation or helping the medics. I'm finding I just keep the lid on as it is a buggaboo to put the ear plugs back in/on. And I'm afraid that when I take the helmet off the CEP's will fall out of my ears that they will fall onto the ground at night and lost forever.

I'm talking with TP where I purchased this helmet and asked about installing ANR. They have suggested Headset Inc ANR but I'm wanting to get the best in this my last helmet. I'm looking at ANR Bose A20. They responded to my question about the buffeting of the Astar window situation that the SPH 5 has "suspended" (?) ear cups which are subject to this buffeting. The Gallet is a "stiff" install and will not have the same buffeting. Does anyone have any input on this buffeting syndrome?

With the Headset Inc install I had the unit catastrophically fail in one ear while long lining in 2011 in an Astar. It was INCREDIBLE. High pitch squeeling unitl I hit the battery kill switch. At first I thought that it might have been a T/R bearing screaming in pain (tailbooms were having issues at the time) or a compressor bearing leaving its home. Very distracting as you could imagine. Replaced both earcups shortly afterwards.

So for me I'm looking at the Bose A20 and if anyone has any insight into this unit in a Gallet. Also any info on TP providing this unit in a self install package.

Been great reading all of these posts and the sincere input.

Safe flying...