Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Working In Usa

What I "implied" is that politicians in many countries, including Canada, the US and the UK used 9/11 to justify enacting broad legislation that gives law-enforcement agencies much more latitude in spying on their own citizens. I believe in giving law inforcement the tools they need to do their jobs, but in some ways we are getting dangerously close to the "big brother" situation.

As an example, the Montreal police will be installing hundreds of surveillance cameras in the downtown area this coming spring "in order to ensure the security of Montrealers". A couple of days after the announcement, some senior cops were quoted saying " now we can give people tickets without being there...".

I'm not paranoid, but sometimes I worry where we're headed...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an example, the Montreal police will be installing hundreds of surveillance cameras in the downtown area this coming spring "in order to ensure the security of Montrealers". A couple of days after the announcement, some senior cops were quoted saying " now we can give people tickets without being there...".

Think photo radar.

:down:

Oh. Is that ALL you meant? :)

Here I was thinking I'd have to make an anonymous phone call to our border authorities about one ARMED and EXTREMELY suspicious, ground-hugging, ex-military Canadian pilot crossing the border on or about 26 March in a Westfalia van WITH NO PROPER PASSPORT or identification. (Might still do that for the fun of it---ha! So if it happens, just think of it as a WARM and FRIENDLY American greeting from yours truly!)

Hate to burst your bubble, but the only freedom this Ordinary Mary has experienced as a result of anti-terrorism legislation is about a 5 minute longer check going through airport security. No biggie. Frankly, when I look around at some of my fellow travelers, I'M GLAD they're paying more attention.

And why would you care about "Big Brother." Bring it on, I say! When you ain't got nothin' to hide, it's no big deal. And if Big Brother stops a few nut jobs in their tracks, all the better. We've had traffic cameras for an eternity in Denver. They're not used for traffic violations. But their footage has come in pretty darn handy in hit-and-run accidents, attempted abductions, deadly crashes, etc. Where on earth are you worried that you're headed? More like America? :shock: Ohmigosh! That would be the WORST thing in the world! :) BTW, traffic cameras are on the "not to worry" list where BIG BROTHER is concerned, believe me. Been reading up a bit on the CIA. Traffic cameras = NO BIGGIE.

Finally, European countries DO NOT accept that terrorist acts are normal daily occurrences AND they're sure as **** not a price to pay for being a free society. Talk about a blanket (and dumb for a smart guy) statement! Whew.

IIIIII'mmm ssshhakkkkiinnng iiinnnn mmmyy bbbbooottts... ;)

PS What I meant by "accepting":

When Al Quaeda attacked on 9/11, media, pundits, even the ordinary american blamed the gov't for not doing enough to protect them.

When Al Quaeda blew up the trains in Spain, media, pundits and ordinary spaniards condemned the terrorists for their actions.

What I'm referring to here is the "spin factor" in play. Obviously, americans blamed the terrorists and spaniards were also unhappy with police that the terrorists pulled off their attack.

What I'm getting at is that there are certain people that work very hard to influence how events are perceived by Joe Public. These people have a very precise agenda and events such as these give them more opportunities to manipulate public opinion and thus gov't action.

I'm not an Orwellian doomsayer, but I think we have to look at things with a critical eye and not just accept everything our "leaders" try to cram down our throats. Democracy is a very fragile thing...

So, let me get this straight. You're mad at the media? Big Brother? Your leaders? My leaders?

The media has a lot less power than you think when it comes to manipulating Big Government into action or inaction where war or terrorism is concerned. At least here in America, anyway.

BTW, I was JUST KIDDING about calling border authorities on ya. Just a funny mental image; nothing more. Take a chill pill, Skidoo. Your brain's workin' overtime. (Yes, I do know the feeling.) Who loves ya, baby? B)