Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Faa/tc Licensing Agreement

From your original post, Phil, can I assume the "rumor" you heard originated from the FAA/TCCA Implementation Procedures for Licensing (IPL) Revision 1? I see it was signed by the FAA director on Dec 3 and by the TCCA director Dec 10. Above that, chapter V states "the FAA and TCCA agree to begin accepting applications for and processing the issuance of conversion certificates and licenses in accordance with Implementation Procedures no later than ninety (90) days from the date of entry into force".

Question: was the date of entry into force the date signed, or is it something else?

And yes, chapter 3 specifically includes helicopters now, while the appendix pages A9 through A13 outlines the conditions for conversion for commercial and ATPL helicopter.

Never mind, just answered my own question.IPL revision 1, chapter 1, item 1.2 effective date and termination states that "these implementation procedures enter into force ninety (90) days after the signing of this agreement, and activity will commence in accordance with chapter 5). It was signed by the FAA on Dec 3, and by TCCA Dec 10.

On your mark; get set;........

Might be a good idea to hold off a week or two, and see when the revision 1 of the IPL comes into force, or at least, see proof that it has. That will allow a Canadian CPL-H holder to directly convert to an FAA CPL-H by requesting your license validation, and then writing the CCH exam. No flight training or check ride will be necessary.

Also, it will allow a Canadian ATPL-H holder to directly convert to an FAA ATPL-H by requesting your license validation, and then writing the ACH exam. No flight training or check ride will be necessary AND the ACH exam does not require an ATPL ground school or sim training (like they do now in fixed wing) as authorization to write.

• Like 1

I understand converting my Canadian ATPL-H to the FAA ATPL-H is done by requesting license validation and successfully completing the ACH exam.

But does anyone know if converting the group 4 instrument rating will require completing the ICH exam? How about night rating, and aircraft endorsements? Will they be added to the license or will there be additional testing?

The key word that I've left out would be "unrestricted" ATPL-H. I honestly don't know if they'll convert a restricted ATPL day/vfr only. Good question.

The requirements for night and instrument experience for the FAA ATPL are listed in the IPL annex (or appendix) and in 14 CFR Part 61. It requires more night and more instrument than the TC ATPL-H so be aware of that.

To answer your original question, if you qualify with an unrestricted ATPL, you do not need to write the ICH, and your FAA will have the same privileges as your TC, same with night. My ATPL study guide for FAA ATPL-H has lots of IFR info.