Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Job's Job's Job's

Saturnman ----sorry 'ol bean, I missed your question before. My reference will be "Canadian Case Law" by Carswell and available at most libraries. I had the particular details at one time and still do, but I've filed them away somewhere and be damned if I'm going to dig for you........no offense meant :D . I'm reporting it not as so much an observer, but as a participant in the same company when it took place.......and "No" it wasn't me. Don't hang on that case either....there have been others since because this stupid thing keeps rising from the dead about every 10 years or so and gotta be beaten back into the ground again. The craziest thing of all is that these agreements are usually put forth and promoted by the legal counsels of the various companies that use them and not by the owners or management. That's where the original ones came from....the legal community.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Campbell helicopters is asking pilot's to sign a 2 summer contract if they have to endorse you on a medium.

The deal was this... You work the first summer with no pay guarantee, then you get laid off for the winter. You come back the next summer, again no pay guarantee... If it rains, you starve.

If you decide to leave or not come back the second summer, then you owe them money for the endorsement. I am really curious how that contract would hold up in court. I kind of assumed that once they lay you off, any contract would be void?

I can understand asking for a guy to pay something for an endorsement, if he leaves for no good reason soon after, while the company is willing to keep him steadily employed and earning a living. But to say goodbye for the winter, then try and say drop your new job and come back next summer or you owe us 10,000 dollars seems sketchy.

....and you can bet your sweet bippy that Bruce Campbell, ex-Senior Vice President of one of Canada's largest banks knows that too. If everybody involved is happy with the arrangement and/or nobody goes in search of the true facts, then why not? If I were Bruce Campbell, I'd try the exact same thing because I don't want to spend monies on training someone and then see the competition get the benefit of my spent monies and training I gave my pilot.....not unless my brain functions slowly.....and you don't get to be Senior Vice President of a large Canadian entity by being stupid.

So in the case of Campbell, what would happen to that pilot should the machine get in an accident? Does he sit on his *** hoping that the hours will be divided between all the pilots and machines. I do know that campbell keeps extremely busy..but still? What then? Secondly how can a guy afford to take a chance like that? Sure he will have a medium endorsement. But if that first year is slow...how does he get through to the next summer. Its not like there are tonns of medium jobs during the late fall and winter months to keep him alive.

Guest bag swinnger

I recently had a conversation with a pilot who got on with campbell last year and had to sign that agreement and is worried what might happen this year if he does not go back.

He also mentioned that someone who was givin an endorsement and did not end up working for campbell, was successfully sued for the cost of the endorsement.???

I'm sure these agreements are well-worded and will probably hold-up in Court.

We can say what we want about companies that have contracts, but the bottom-line is that these pilots were not forced to sign these contracts.

If you sign a contract, then want to break it...............good luck, you're on thin ice.

As always in this industry, do your research first.

Why do pilots want to leave these companies ??

Why do 'good' companies not have (or need) these agreements ??

Ask yourself (and others) why these companies need to force you to stay ??

Surely, if you are working for a 'good' company, you will WANT to stay.

Bag Swinger ------ because your person lost his case doesn't mean that the previous ruling did not take place. It means that the lawyer didn't have the time to run through 25 years of Canadian Case law and/or didn't have the paid researchers on staff to do so. If he misses that, then neither the Judge, Crown or lawyer for the plaintiff are going to do it for him.

Helilog -----Mr. Campbell and I have disgreed seldom on anything, BUT we've had our moments. We're both Scotsmen and I too can be "bull-headed". His Ops Manager and I disgreed wholeheartedly on one subject and it had nothing to do with flying or the client. We agreed to diagree and I can still speak to her on the phone pleasantly. I can say what I have said so far and still say that to the best of my knowledge, Bruce Campbell has never done me any harm whatsoever. I hear stories about others though, but I'm not employed there and don't know the details from the "inner sanctum", therefore any comments I'd make would carry no weight and be termed as "skuttlebutt"..

Good to hear this all, also you may have just proved one of my points to my dad :D he believed that the best way to get your pilots liscence was through the military. i however feel it is much more rewarding, and you will be a better pilot if you pay your own way through flight school. I was not misinformed about the military, just interprutted wrong, i meant free-ish hours and you owe your services after.

Thanks, Cole